Options

New and Excited

Hello everyone. I just wanted to take some time to introduce myself. I'm Zee and about to embark on the new journey to motherhood. Today I had my hmmm, not sure which visit to the doctor. I do know I have now started BC pills and prenatals. I have been assigned my nurse who will be sending my fertility chart soon. My partner and I have chose our donor, so we are well on our way. Prediction of first IUI is around the first of December. So much information and so excited.

Questions: On average, how many vials do one purchase at once?

Comments

• Options
    I bought 3 but only ended up using one. If I had it to do over, I think I would buy three again, it usually takes 2-4 from what I hear, assuming there are no problems.
  • Options
    Zee,

If your donor is very important to you, you may want to buy more than 1 vial b/c of the average number of tries it takes as stated by Arkmom.

Another reason to buy multiple vials is if you plan to have more than one child and you wish for your children to be full blooded siblings. Chances are even if you get lucky with the 1 vial you buy and you try to wait a year or so for your second try, the vials will most likely be no longer available for your original donor. It's pretty expensive to buy multiple vials, but if you can swing it, it's far better to already have them in your possession and have the option to exchange or sell them back than to not have them at all.

I'm saying this b/c I did get lucky on my first try with IVF (very different from IUI) and we only bought 1 vial. However, we want full blooded siblings.. so we went back a couple months after the procedure to buy more vials and our donor was retired! We had to pay a pretty penny to get him reactivated to get more vials and that is definitely a route you want to avoid b/c there is no guarantee your donor will want to be reactivated.

I know that was a lot, but if I can save you from what happened to us, then great : )
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your responses. It was my plan to buy multiple vials but only for unsuccessful trys. I am 35 and don't think I will consider birthing a second child in a few years. I have another question that I didn't think to ask my doctor that pertains to vials. He has advised me of the procedure in which he will medicate me to induce ovulation. The next day, he will do an insemination and then the day after that, another insemination. Will I need 2 vials for this? I don't know how much "magic juice" is in one vial and if it is all used at once.
  • Options
    You will need two vials for back to back iui's.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yep, two vials for back to back IUIs, though my doctor actually wanted 3 on hand just in case one looked like a dud when they opened it (that way we wouldn't lose an attempt).
  • Options
    I'm doing IUI t a fertility clinic aand I'm only buying three vitals. If I run out, then I'm moving on the IVF with a different donor.