Options

ICI at home... do you have any tips

Hi,

We did our first ICI try last night and early this AM. We've been using the basal therm and Clearblue Monitor. She never "peaked" but her temp rose indicating ovulation, so we tried.

Any tips? Any tricks on keeping the "goods" from leaking out when the syring is withdrawn? Her hips were elevated, but this still happened. We tried to suck it back up and use it again :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Good question, I was curious about that too. Maybe someone will help us with that.

I am pretty sure that some liquid should come out. Who knows exactly.

I was curious if using ICI at home, how far we should go in when inserting the catheter. My partner can see the opening of my uterus and injected the swimmers at the opening but didn't go in the opening. If we were to go in slightly, would that be okay or is that very bad. Is inserting it very close the the opening good enough? That's were I was thinking that the "goods" are going to come out for sure.
  • Options
    Hi guys - I can't help you with the at home attempts - we've gone straight to IUI at the doc's office. I'm writing more because I would encourage you to do some research on your timing. Everything I have read seems to indicate it is better to do your ICI before ovulation. If you are waiting for your temp to rise, then you are inseminating at least a bit if not more than that after ovulation and your timing may be too late. I am not the expert on this stuff by any means but I hope you will look into it.

Mommies - did you say you're in Portland? OR or ME? we are in pdx, OR.

Miss D - I know nothing about the business of doing it at home...... (ICI that is). Sorry!

I did read you shouldn't use a speculum because it may pull semen out with it. Don't remember where though and since we aren't doing it at home I stopped researching ICI info.

Holding good thoughts for your success this time!
  • Options
    I've only done IUIs at the doctor's office as well, but from when I was trying to get pregnant naturally, I do know that you should stay laying on your back for 20 minutes or so afterward to combat gravity!

I'm not sure about injecting into the uterus at home. When the doc does it, she just swabs my cervix with a long Q-tip to remove extra fluids and then goes for it. There doesn't seem to be any special procedure involved in inserting the catheter. And that way, none of it leaks out (only when it's in the vagina). But I'd be very, very careful and maybe ask your doc about it first.

Good luck!

--CSS
  • Options
    missdayene - ICI (unwashed) sperm should NOT be injected into the uterus. Only washed (IUI) sperm should be used. Using unwashed sperm can cause infections! Please only have an IUI done with a doctor!
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads-up, mpark! Right you are.

--CSS
  • Options
    I would not do it at home. I tried it... I ended uo going to a fretility clinic. I would recommend that over doing it at home. Much more precise and likely to become pregnant that way.
  • Options
    Its totally possible with ICI at home, my partner is pregnant right now. We tried ICI at home 3 times, all negative. Then we did IUI at the doctors office, we got a positive but miscarried. This past time, we did ICI at home but sort of mimiced what the doctor did with an IUI. (NOTE, we did ICI, I did not insert the semen in the uterus) I used a speculum, a 1cc syringe, and a tomcath on the end of the syringe. I positioned the speculum to see the cervix, drew up the sperm into the syringe (straight from the vial), put the tomcath on the end of the syringe, I pushed the sperm out of the syringe up against the cervix. (I didnt touch the cervix) Then inserted something called a Instead (its a cup type thing that is used for your period. We found them at CVS) We did 2 inseminations approximately 20 hours apart ( 18 hours is ideal but we couldnt do it because of our schedules)

Just wanted to say it is possible, Good luck!!! Sending lots of baby dust to you all!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your success story. We need to hear more from the successful at home ICI stories.

My partner and I have decided to try the basal temperature charting along with the clear blue monitor to try to pin point my ovulation. Thought we'd do eveything possible to get the timing right.
    Rack1415- could you tell me how you went about thawing the vials? Did you test your surge more then once a day?
    And when you used the speculum didn't that push some liquid out? And weren't you afraid to interest the cap inside? I'd be afraid of keeping some swimmers out. I guess it's silly if it worked for you.

Did you inseminate at night or morning?

Please tell us as much information as possible.

I've tried 4 unsuccesful IUI:( went through a lot of stress and money already. Really hoping that we can time it just right.

Thanks ladies.. Good luck!!!

Dayene
  • Options
    As far as thawing the semen, we just set it out at room temp for 20 minutes, that is what our dr. did when we tried iui. She advised us not to hold in in our hand that we could over heat the goods and kill some, she also said to keep it standing up, dont flip it around or set it on its side. (Note, while the vials were thawing, she had the big O, then after the insemination she had the big O again to help draw the swimmers up.

We have been (my partner) has been tracking her basal temp as well as tracking with the clear blue monitor. We only teste one time a day because thats all the monitor does. We actually inseminated the night before she hit peak, because other signs were there. She usually peaked on day 12 and she didnt that day so we knew she would peak the next day, and she did. So we inseminaed late the night before she peaked and then about 20 hours later, in the early evening. The speculum was inserted before the semen was, therefore i wouldnt lose any semen. And her hip were elevated. She actually inserted the cap because its like inserting a tampon (she did it while remaining laying down) She didnt get out of bed for atleast 4 hours. After we inseminated she layed on her back for 40 minutes, rolled to her side that she thought she was ovulating for about 20 minutes, then to her stomach for 30 or so then to her other side.

I would advise praticing with the speculum before you inseminate. And i read somewhere if you have a hard time finding her cervix, have her jump up and down 4 or 5 times and that should help in drop. (it worked for us)

Dont stress about it, I know its hard not to do, just relax.

No questions are silly, and i am not an expert. I just did alot of research and reading. I think the thing that helped the most was I watched the dr. do the IUI the time before. If you have any more questions let me know. Sending lots of baby dust your way. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    Hi. I am getting ready to do an ICI in July. I am a straight, single woman, age 40, and have a regular 28 day cycle, for the most part. I am having my good girlfriend - who heads a nursing dept at a local university - do it for me. I would love a start to finish success story of this route. I should start my period on Saturday and will use this upcoming cycle to chart my temp. My hope is to try to conceive during the following cycle, in July. According to my 'ovulation calculation' on my iPhone app I'm supposed to ovulate July 12th.

Here are my main questions:
    How to unfreeze the semen?
    Best time during my cycle to inseminate (pre and post ovulation)?
    Best way to do it?
    Is pre-seed helpful?
    Is it good to have an orgasm beforehand to open the cervix?
    How many vials should I get for one cycle?
    Has anyone used an 'instead softcup' (instead of a conception cap) to keep the sperm in?

Sorry if I seem intense! I'm just so new to all of this and want to increase my chances of doing it at home as much as possible this first go round. Thanks!
  • Options
    Anghart29,

I just ordered my first vial of ICI. After reading as much as I possibly could on the net, here's our plan:
    1. Temping for the past two months gave me a good idea of when to expect ovulation. I have a 25-27 day cycle so,
    2. I started using OPKs on cd6, and will use two a day every 12 hrs or so on cd9
    3. Checking my cervical position and mucus with fingers and looking at the os with a speculum, flash light and mirror to see os begin to open (hubby wont look until its go time. Lol)
    4. Taking lots of vitamins and supplements including 200mg 2x day of guaifenesin (musinex), and one 81mg baby aspirin (only around ovulation for both)
    5. Lastly, yes, I'm pretty obsessed, I'm juicing with spinach/kale 2x day and eat as clean as I possibly can. Oh! Also eating 1/2 avocado daily. There are studies that show increased success with ivf and avocado, so I figured why not.

When I get a +opk we will probably inseminate 12hrs later using a speculum and small syringe that I ordered from a midwife. I will try to orgasm after and insert a softcup. We have Preseed on hand if needed. I'm 35 and I also read that peri menopausal women ovulate sooner and the egg is only good for 12-24hrs. Fingers crossed we catch it.

Hope that helps. It helped me to type it out. Best of luck
  • Options
    I'm getting my goods on wed and I order a kit to do it at home but was only given a syringe I keep reading about a catheter. Can someone please help me
  • Options
    Getting more 3 round of Ici and I need to know if I'm wasting money has it been successful to anyone ?? Please help me ? I tried the first time in February 2015 and was successful but had a tubal pregnancy and was heart broken tried again and no luck so now round 3 please send baby dust my way. I will be 30 on Friday the day I'm hoping to be getting my goods. So I will try again for the 3rd time I hope!!
  • Options
    Use opks. Inseminate when opk is really positive. Use an instead cup insert specimen into cup. Out it around the cervixm leave in place 12 hours.
  • Options
    Hello. This week I performed an at home ICI, using a product called the Stork. You can buy it over the counter at CVS or Walgreens dor $79.00. I let the vial thaw out in normal room temperature for 30 minutes and then I started the procedures. I followed directions precisely and noticed a little cramping and bloating after the procedure. I left the donor's sperm inside of the spectacle that came with the device and placed it right next to my cervix for 6 hours. The next day I also experienced minor cramping and bloating. I'm praying these are signs of conception. I won't take a pregnancy test probably until next week, using a First Response test for early pregnancies. I pray that we are successful and that each and every one of you are also successful. I'll provide an update next week. Spreading lots of baby dust your way. ??