Options

Time to switch to IVF?

I've had 5 IUIs and one ICI, not to mention trying to get pregnant the old-fashioned way for several months, and no luck so far. I'm turning 40 this month, but I don't have any fertility problems or obstacles. Who knows why it hasn't worked out so far, but I guess I feel like I'm running out of time.

So now we're at that point where we're considering switching to IVF and I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the matter? I know this is a decision we all have to make for ourselves, but a little feedback never hurts.

I should mention that this will be challenging financially (esp. on top of what we've already spent!), but the clinic I'm considering offers payment plans and shared risk (if applicable), so we're willing to try and make it work.

Thanks in advance.

--CSS

Comments

• Options
    CSS...I'm sorry you're going through this, but I think that you're going to be ahead to try IVF. There have been many women get a BFP after 6, 7, or 8 IUI's, but at this point, you are continueing to spend money and there's no way to know if it will take 1 more IUI or 5 more IUI's. With IVF, you're chances are greater of becoming a Mommy. It may seem like more money up front, but in the long run, you may even have saved money from more unsuccessful IUI's. The payment plan sounds like it will help, but if they have a program that guarantees a bfp or a partial refund, that would be the way to go.

I understand the stress of the financial part and everyone has to do what they can with what they have...but as I sit here and hold my 5 1/2 month old little girl, I can assure you that she is priceless...If we try to have another child and it comes down to it, I will sell everything we own or take out a loan in hopes to acheive another bfp.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey CSS I was in your shoes about 5 months ago. My husband and I went through 8 iui's before moving on to IVF. It is a lot to go through, but it is worth it. We are now 10 1/2 weeks pregnant from our first round of IVF. We are having one baby and everything seems to be moving on fantastically. We also did a shared risk program, which helps take a lot of the pressure off your shoulders and relaxes you. If it is offered I would do it because it just lets you relax. We are able to do three complete rounds until we complete a 12 week pregnancy then we are on our own. I know that there are some programs that guarentee a live birth but those programs are really expensive. Good luck with your journey and if you have any questions I will share with you. Having someone who has been through it helps. Kelly
  • Options
    Thanks so much, ladies. This is definitely making me feel better about my decision. And congrats to you both!

I had planned on pursuing a shared risk program, but I'm not sure if I'll qualify (age-wise). But these are all helpful suggestions and I'll need all this info as I go forward. And I'll also keep in mind your offer, Kelly, to keep in touch.

Btw, this is the clinic I'm considering going through:

http://www.ebfertility.com/

--CSS