Options

Medicated or unmedicated??

We are going to attempt our first IUI in the next couple of months. The RE said it is completely up to us as to whether we want to do medicated or un-medicated cycles. He explained the pros and cons, but left the decision up to us. I'm 28 and have no known fertility issues, although I wouldn't know because I have never tried to conceive before. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about this...

Comments

• Options
    I went with the medicated. In our case, the fertility problems were my husband's and not mine (I have an older daughter from my previous marriage), but we figured that we might as well increase our odds as much as we could, since we were spending all that money to purchase the vials and do the IUI! We used the lowest dose of Clomid and an Ovidrel trigger, and our 2nd round was successful...we ended up having our twins ( a boy & a girl) right before Christmas! Yes, there is an increased chance that you will have mutiples when on drugs, but my doc said the odds were still slim...in fact, he told me that I was the ONLY patient he ever had to get pregnant with twins on the lowest dose of Clomid like that. :) Good luck & lots of baby dust to you!!!
  • Options
    Having gone through a bunch of unmedicated IUIs that didn't end in pregnancy and then succeeding (but miscarried, unfortunately) on my second medicated IUI (the first time, the dosages were lower), I'd suggest going with medicated, just to give it all you got.

However,it does up the price (more so with injectables; Clomid is cheap) and because of your age (I started at 39), you may want to give it a try without the meds first. It really is up to you.

--CSS