Options

Single mom books

Does anyone know of any really good books for single moms to be. I would really like to read some insight into all of this. The only book I know of is "Single Mothers By Choice, A Guidebook for Single Women Who Are Considering or Have Chosen Motherhood." By Jane Mattes. Is there any other good books out there?

Comments

• Options
    I just read this on another post - humor...

Knock Yourself Up

Dont know if it is any good.
  • Options
    There's a comedy movie coming out in mid April on a woman who founds out she is pregnant.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've heard about this. Do you know the name of it?
  • Options
    I believe it is called The Backup Plan.
  • Options
    That's the one with Jennifer Lope right? Can't wait to watch it!
  • Options
    Hi,

Knock Yourself Up was a great read! As for more personal help with the thinking process though, I would recommend Mikki Morrissette's Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman's Guide. She also has a great website (choicemoms.org) with information and podcasts. I also found it quite invaluable to work with a professional counselor on my journey toward motherhood. She often asked questions that my best friend and mom did not think to ask. I have wanted to be a mommy for many years. Only now in my early thirties am I finding that I am prepared financially as well as emotionally to begin trying. Getting to this place has meant doing a lot of soul-searching and coming to know myself well. Not everyone can wait, and I understand that. On the other hand, I think that I will make a different, more stable, mother than I would have when I was younger. Best wishes in your own thinking process.

Lara
  • Options
    Ok, I just saw the preview for the movie it's called The Back-Up Plan.
  • Options
    Thank you for our comments lfrizzell. They were really helpful. My doctor suggested the personal counseling too and I plan on doing that for sure. I will look into those books.
  • Options
    I just finished reading Knock Yourself Up after hearing about it through this thread. I thought it was a great read - almost felt like I was sitting down with the author like we were friends and just chatting. :) One of the best things I discovered about the book were the websites and other sources it had in the back. If you think the book isn't for you, I would at least suggest writing down the sites and books from the back of it.

Good luck!
    Beca
  • Options
    "Choosing You" is another great book to read.