Options

I just would like to know where are all the negative CMV donors are

I just would like to know where are all the negative CMV donors are? It seems that they are way CMV positive than negative donors out there. In addition most of the negative donors are missing information that is much need to make a good decision on that donor. Like: no long profile, or staff impressions, or even a short profile, or no baby photo, and not the race/ ethic back round that I am looking for. Another problem is that the donors that are negative are too young. So please let me know what everyone thinks about this subject thanks

Comments

• Options
    There are way more CMV positive donors out there because 80% of American adults are CMV positive. They tend to be younger because they keep catching it every year. I was lucky enough to find a 30 something cmv negative donor, but unfortunately, he is now retired and sold out. Hang in there. Most likely you will find a cmv negative donor that meets your needs. If you don't, talk to your doc about going positive. The chances of catching cmv from your donor are really very small.
  • Options
    this is just a side bar note i was told by staff anyone with an active CMV infection wolud not be able to into ccb thanks for your support and your reply.but i will talk to my doctor about this issus more
  • Options
    Hi, I have not been tested for CMV up until today. It was overlooked in my testing, I am very annoyed. Anyway, I do think that I am positive like most adults and my RE says chance of transmission if i am negative is slim. Also found this on CCB:
    # If I am CMV antibody negative, what is my risk of acquiring a CMV infection from one of your sperm donors who is antibody positive for CMV?
    While we would never say the risk is zero, we believe that the risk is extremely low. Semen processing methods that remove white blood cells are thought to reduce that risk. In our opinion, any risk can be reduced by the use of IUI vials which are prepared by a density gradient method which removes nearly all white blood cells and seminal plasma. Based upon our experience and published literature, we do not believe that semen from a healthy donor who is antibody positive due to an old CMV infection poses any meaningful risk of transmitting CMV. This is, however, a medical issue that you should discuss with your physician.

I will know my results Weds. My donor is positive.
  • Options
    I am CMV negative and it was hard to find a negative donor. My doctor told me most definitely that since I was negative I would need a negative donor.

I wish you luck.
  • Options
    hoping this gets a little bump and i'm able to find you again. i've just started this process and had no idea what cmv was until today. nurse said i'm negative and yes there are not only few AA donors here or on other sites, but after you take out positive cmv donors, you end up with like 1-3. very frustrating.
  • Options
    Faith, I agree. it does make the selection very limited. My RE said that I should try to find someone that is negative because it can cause complications during the pregnancy but according to the CCB it is not harmful. I still prefer to go with my doctors words. My choices were very limited as well with the caucasian people. I asked the CCB if they could put that as one of the options so that you would not have to weed the people out once you thought you had a lot of choices but they said that it might scare people away from that particular donor if they did. anyway best of luck to you. I go back in today for round two.
  • Options
    Two of my past doctors insisted on CMV- for both IUI and IVF. That made finding a donor so frustrating! There are all sorts of posts from me from a few years back, and reading them now, I'm a bit taken aback by how tense and unhappy (and confused and dotty) I sound.

The new RE (at supposedly one of the very best IUI/IVF centers in the area) said they felt that with all the IVF processing, CMV+ status poses no problem.

I'd like to believe that my past lack of success was because I needed to wait for an RE that could let me use the donor who had always been my first choice.

We'll see (soon) how it goes.
  • Options
    You need to find out if you are positive or negative. I'm CMV- and my RE insists on my use of the same. I found two donors that I liked, I only bought sperm from one. It does limit your choices, but why do care that the donor is "too young?" I wouldn't want an old donor because I'm using an open donor only.
  • Options
    No, I never found out if I was negative or positive for CMV because when I actually bought the sperm I was not under a RE’s care and had to make my decision on which would be better. And I ended up with a negative donor for the safety of my child. The donor that I had was positive and we have so much in common it was scary but since he was positive I didn’t end using him. And I really was looking into him being my child’s father so help myself from more heart ache I will not get tested for CMV. The reason why I liked an older donor is because I always liked older men. and i found an older guy he is in his 30's
  • Options
    I also need a CMV negative donor and it definitely limits the choices. My RE said I should absolutely find a CMV neg donor because of the possibility of problems with the baby.
    Even though the CCB says the chances of problems are small, I'm not prepared to take that risk so have spent extra time searching for a donor that fits my other requirements and is also CMV negative.
    Good luck!
    Katy