Options

I just would like to know where are all the negative CMV donors are?

I just would like to know where are all the negative CMV donors are? It seems that they are way CMV positive than negative donors out there. In addition most of the negative donors are missing information that is much need to make a good decision on that donor. Like: no long profile, or staff impressions, or even a short profile, or no baby photo, and not the race/ ethic back round that I am looking for. Another problem is that the donors that are negative are too young. So please let me know what every on thinks about this subject thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi baby -

First off, CMV positive does not mean anything other than the donor has been exposed to the CMV virus at some point and carries the virus antibodies (the same way anyone who has been exposed to chicken pox carries those antibodies). It is estimated that at least 50% of the U.S. adult population is CMV positive. Any donor with an active infection would be screened out of the program. CMV status is simply not a relevant criteria on which to base your donor selection.

All donors have Short and Long Profiles available. Except for possibly a few very old donors, they should all have staff impressions as well. If you have questions about specific donors, you can always contact of Client Services Department for help. As for the baby photos, they are optional and some donors choose not to provide them. We realize how important the photos are to our clients and work very hard to make as many available as possible.

We have the most ethnically diverse donor pool anywhere in the world and specifically recruit minority donors. If you are not finding a specific race, I would suggest contacting Client Services for help.

I'm not sure what "too young" means. All our donors are at least 19. Most are 19-25.

I hope these answers satisfy all your questions. If not, feel free to contact us by phone at 866-927-9622.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    What is CMV?
  • Options
    Scott,

Some doctors do advise cmv negative patients to use cmv negtive donors. Mine did. You may disagree with that medical advise, but bashing the client for following her doctors advice does not help her choose a donor that is right for her.

Ditto on "too young" except for th part oabout medical advice. You do not have to agree with the client's criteria to aswer her questions about them. I'm not sure what is gained by expressing your disagreement with her criteria.

Personally, since I was looking for an open id donor, it was important to me to find a mature donor who I felt was less likely to change him mind or regret his choice to be a donor later in life. Even if that were not the case, I can't help but feel a mother pang of concern when I read the profiles of someone these kids who clearly have no concept of the significance of what they are doing.
  • Options
    I meant no disrespect and was in no way "bashing" baby67890. I was simply trying to offer some direction. She specifically asked for an opinion and I answered.

I'm sorry if my response came across as anything other than that. I would never suggest not following a doctors advice. Baby67890 did not mention her doctor was guiding her decision to only use a CMV negative donor.

As for the age issue, I understand your point. However, by recruiting college students we are able to offer hundreds of donors. If we were to raise the age limit to exclude students, our selection would be very limited.

Thanks,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    hello
    I want to first thank both of you for replaying to me about my post This is not because I mad at any one it is just to clear things up with the both of you Scott, and ArkmomI was mainly trying to understand why there are so many positive donors out there and trying to understand my risk of getting CMV during insemination or pregnancy.
    Because I have told the things that could happen to the baby or me.
    As for myself I have never been tested for CMV so I don’t know my status
    Also my doctor never told me to go negative or positive it was my own personal choice to look for negative guys because of the risk of choosing a positive donor, but I have been told that the risk of getting CMV, but I was told that getting CMV from a donor is rare and unlikely to happen.
    I never tock what Scott said personally I asked a question I got what need to know form him.
    And for the age I was mainly trying to find a donor that older than me because I have always liked older men.
    Ps like I said before I never tock anything Scott said personally he was doing what asked from him. This is not because I mad at any one it is just to clear things up with the both of you Scott, and Arkmom Mainly to Arkmom thanks again for replying to my post like I said in the begging I am not mad at any one I fact I appreciate that you did stock up for me thanks.
  • Options
    Baby 67890:

I guess I just assumed you were CMV negative from the question. I had struggled with this because my RE's advise conflicted with that of others who seemed to know and I agnoised over wether I was taking an unneeded risk if I went positive or limitting myself needlessly by sticking to negative. I guess I was just projecting.

Scott: sorry if I read you wrong.