Options

Birth Certificate

Does anyone know what to put on the birth certificate for "father" if the donor is anonymous? Can I just leave it blank?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, you can leave it blank. Likewise, my husband's name is on the birth certificate for my daughter because in the state we live in, children conceived with an anonymous donor to a married couple are legally seen as the child of both the husband and wife, and are entitled to all rights of child support and inheritance as a biological child.
  • Options
    if you leave it blank, isn't it registered as "unknown" anyway?
  • Options
    In a book I ordered it suggested to very carefully think about what you want revealed to all of the people in the future who may see the birth certificate...like the public school for example (which the b.c. will remain in a file for the entire students school life for anyone to view). It also mentioned some hospitals are different with what they will allow in that space. Some make you put something… As for me...I plan on NOT putting anything. I want it left up to my future child as to who he/she chooses to know.

Even though people who would need to see a birth certificate shouldn't say or spread any info, I just still wouldn't want to take the chance just in case someone would let it leak out and my child did not want everyone to know. Things like that could spread quickly. Even though it may be no big deal, I would want my child to make that choice. That's just me though! I hope this helps.
  • Options
    You can leave it blank.

A book I read suggested you consult an attorney in your state. My plan is to leave it blank.

Kbart is right especially about schools- the district I currently live in requires consent of both parents before enrolling. Plus anybody can work in the school office and see the information- it is not as confidential as we all believe.
  • Options
    I will leave mine blank. Besides, who's name am I gonna put in the birth certificate if I will be a single mom by CHOICE?

You usually put someone's name(father's name) if you have a significant other/partner at the time that your child is born. If you dont have anyone who is willing to step up to the plate to be the father then you leave it blank, make sense??
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. There are some points I didn't consider.

Yeah, it's not that easy to decide. I don't want to write "donor" in case my child doesn't want that revealed. Writing "unknown" could lead to gossip about my lifestyle!!

Maybe I could put "anonymous"? LOL
  • Options
    The hospital I was at required anyone who didn't have either a husband or someone willing to sign an affidavit of paternatity to leave it blank, which was what I wanted to do anyway. I did however fill out a section of the form called "biological father's demographic information" which is used to keep health statistics but does not become part of the birth certificate. This asks for information like the age, race and national origin of the biological father.
  • Options
    I have two friends that just left it blank because they were not married to the father at the time of the birth. They left it blank so they would not need to consult the known father for passports and other legal documents. They could do as they saw fit. Leaving it blank works and no one seems to question it. One of the afore mentioned children is in school and nothing was said to the mother about the father not being listed. I am going to leave mine blank.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    This is great information. I was worried about what it would say...blank is better than unknown.