Options

Retired vs. unavailable

Can you please tell me the difference between the two? I'm assuming that "retired" means that that donor will no longer have any vials to sell...ever. Is this the case? Or just "retired for now"?
How long does it typically take for the "unavailable" ones to start selling again? What is usually the reason for this? Too many pregnancies reported or just ran out of vials? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    Hello h1977,

You are right about retired donors - Although I think they can be sometimes be reactivated somehow. I know my donor was unavailable because he had run out of vials and it took about 2-3 months for his blood tests to clear before he had more vials available. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the information! So frustrating! After debating for a while, my husband and I finally made a decision and he is now retired! Any idea how they can be "reactivated"? Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi h1977-

"Retired" means we are no longer collecting vials on a donor. All donations must remain is a 6 month quarantine after collection before being released to make sure the donor has not developed any new issues while in the program (STDs, etc.).

Because it is such a long lag between collection and release, we generally have an ample supply of vials even after a donor is no longer actively donating. While there is no guarantee that quarantined vials will always be released, it is rare that we find any issue preventing them form becoming available.

If you are interested in a donor that is out of vials and/or retired, you can always call our Client Services Department at 866-927-9622 and check on possible upcoming releases. They will be able to tell you if there are vials in quarantine and the estimated date of their release. We can even put you on a list so that you will be notified 24 hours before the actual release.

Reactivation is a long, expensive process that basically amounts to a retired donor returning to donate for a specific client. Most donors opt not to return, and when they do it generally takes a minimum of 6-9 for the vials to become available to you.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the information!
  • Options
    You're very welcome.

Scott