Options

Ovidrel Shot Please Help Asap!!!

I have to give myself the Ovidrel shot for the first time tonight. Can someone please give me some details and advice how I do that. Please help!! I am nervious and I dont want to screw this up. Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    You're going to be okay... relax okay?:-) Now, is your shot already premade or do you have to mix it?
  • Options
    If you have the small needle, you give it to yourself in your tummy... about 2" below your belly button. If you've got the long needle you give it to yourself in your upper thigh.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your quick response. It is pre filled so no need to mix. Is it best to lie down?
  • Options
    I had to take low dose hcg as well as a trigger shot plus injectible meds... didn't hurt at all. Just remember to let the alcohol dry first or it stings!! Pinch up your skin while you inject it and leave the needle in for about ten seconds. Let the skin go and then pull the needle out quickly... I found out (TMI alert!!) that if you still have the skin pinched when you pull the needle out you will bleed a bit. Just put a alcohol swab or cotton ball dipped in it and press down hard for a little bit and it will stop and you need to do that step even if you don't bleed much.

Good luck and much dust and prayers!!
  • Options
    You can lie down if you want to but my nurse didn't say you had to.
  • Options
    I took all my shots standing up so I could see what I was doing.
  • Options
    Thank you again for your quick response and all your help!! I am not so worried about the needle.....I gave myself Lupron injections for years (and that needle is about 100 times bigger) My anxiety comes from trying to make sure I do it right to better my chances for my IUI Monday to be a success. The Ovidrel website indicated it should be given an inch away beside my belly button but you sad below. Considering you have done this before I am more inclined to go with you. Thank you!! Thank you!!
  • Options
    My RE's nurse told me to take ALL my shots either 2" below my belly button or in my upper thigh area. She didn't say anything about sides BUT definitely DID say below... I would guess below the belly button decreases the distance it has to travel? The diagrams I had show the prime area to be a two inch area level with your belly button all the way around it. I would go with what the website says though or call your RE.
  • Options
    Whoa... the area is level with your belly button on the side and 180 degrees around going down towards your feet not a complete circle.
  • Options
    I have taken the shot as well but what i dont understand is why they perscribe it if a women already ovulates?
  • Options
    Sometimes the follicle matures but the egg doesn't release or doesn't release in time. When you take the trigger, which is hcg, it forces the follicle to break so the egg can get out... usually 36 hours after you take it. It floods your system with it.

It's also why they tell you NOT to test early. Depending on the dosage you take, it takes AT LEAST ten or fourteen days AFTER your ICI/IUI for the hcg to leave your system... because that's also what makes a HPT turn +. If you test too soon, you get a false + because you have way, way more in your system than you normally would IF you're pregnant... which is why it's called the TWW: Two Week Wait. You can be sure that whatever doseage you injected is all gone by then... and that the + you get is the REAL deal.
  • Options
    g0ttalveme- how did it go?
  • Options
    I got through taking my shot! And I had my first IUI today!! So now I have entered my TWW, oh the wait will be far worse than the shot I am sure ;o) The count was 15.1 million so I guess that is good. This board has been such a blessing and I am not sure what I would do without it. It is just so comforting to know there are other woman out there going through the same thing I am and when I need advice someone is always there for me. Thanks for asking and helping.
  • Options
    I was so nervous about my shot too! It wasnt the pain just making sure I did it right, so I had my friend do it for me. Didn't hurt at all! TWW was so long for me! Good luck!

BABY DUST!
  • Options
    I have to give myself the hcg shot on Monday night and I am nervous as well because this will be my first time. I go in for IUI #2 on Wednesday morning - this is a medicated cycle, Clomid 50mg.
  • Options
    FYI, there are instructional videos online for the Ovidrel shot:

http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/resources/ovidrelpre-filledsyringe.jsp

And for the Gonal-F pen (if applicable):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxB8CIhAJx4&feature=related

I was lucky enough to have my husband administer both types for me (plus a drug that delays ovulation so that the follicles can continue to develop for a couple more days) and it really didn't hurt. I had a little bruising, but no biggie. Now I'm in my 2WW after my 7th IUI (last two medicated).

Good luck to all of us!

--CSS
  • Options
    Thanks for the link! I watched the video on Ovidrel twice already ;) I know a lot of women say it doesn't hurt - and I'm sure it's not all that bad - but I guess it's just the whole idea of sticking a needle in my stomach!

Yes, you were lucky to have your husband inject in for you :) I'm on my own, so wish me luck!

Hang in there - hope to hear some good news from you!