Options

Post Thaw Evaluation

Hi there, I was just curious as to an explanation on thawed donor semen counts.

My first IUI I was handed no paperwork on the thaw and didn't think twice of it. My second IUI I was handed paperwork with thaw numbers which made me question my first go round. Now with both papers in hand, here is my question.

Can you please break down the numbers and why if from the same donor are the numbers so drastically different?

Thanks!

First IUI: Volume 0.5, sperm concentrate 131. x 10 ?/ml, total sperm 65.5 x 10 ?, motility 70%, progression 3,
total motile count 45.9 x 10 ?

Second IUI: Volume 0.5 ml, sperm concentrate 87 x 10 ?/ml, total sperm 43.5 x 10 ?, motility 65%, progression 3, total motile count 28.3 x 10 ?

And p.s. the (6) is in sub script I just don't know how to do that in this computer. :) Millions?

Comments

• Options
    Hi 21-

The specimens were most likely from 2 different collection dates. A donor’s counts can vary per date of collection due to a variety of reasons. Differences can also occur due to variances in the technicians counting the specimens at the lab.

It looks like both of these samples were very good and well over our standard of 10 million motile cells for the IUI vials.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    The research that I've read says that if a man has fewer than 40 million sperm, there are fertility issues. Why is the number for samples still considered good if it is much less than that?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi All -

Sperm count is only one factor in specimen quality. 100 million sperm with 25% motility really only mean 25 million good sperm. 40 milion sperm with 70% motility equals 28 million sperm.

CCB guarantees 10 million total motile sperm (IUI) and 15 million total motile sperm (ICI). It technically takes about 5 million sperm to become pregnant through traditional conception. As the number of sperm increase, the odds of conception do not.

Best of luck,

Scott
    CCB