Options

2009 Status Check

Happy New Years Everyone!

I know that so many of us were taking December off, some of had some really great news this month, and others some rather disappointing news, but I thought we could all report in & see how things are going & where we are in the process!

Us:

We took December off and are anxious to get going again. Waiting is really hard for me, so I think the "break" stressed me out even more.

I started my cycle today so I'll call my doctors office as soon as they open to schedule cd3 sonogram. Hopefully everything will look good to begin Clomid this weekend!!
This will be our 8th IUI.

Kimberly & Tina

Comments

• Options
    Hello and Happy New Years to you too!

We are getting ready for our very first IUI. We are on cd8 and should inseminate next Saturday or Sunday. We're so excited to being so close to the 2ww, yet nervous at the same time.

Here's to BFP's for all us us in 2009!

Wish us luck!
    Misty and Carla
  • Options
    We are looking forward to beginning our Clomid tomorrow. This will be our 2nd attempt at IUI but with a different donor (11460...we used 11183 the first time.) We are trying to stay calm as our BFN was a big bummer back in November. We took Dec. off b/c I was sick. Best to all of you out there trying! :) Christa and Bess
  • Options
    Hello,

Happy New Years to all!

We inseminated on Tuesday and Wednesday, December 30 and 31st of 2008. So we are smack dab in the middle of the 2ww. I go back to work tomorrow, so hopefully this will help distract me from my uterus. :) We go in to take our pregnancy test on Tuesday, Jan 13 at 8 am, but I think we will take a HPT on Sunday, the 11th, as well. We shall see. I had 5 eggs going in to the insemination, so not only am I thinking about whether or not I will get pregnant, but also how many...

On the progesterone suppositories and waiting. Good luck everyone!

Kathy and CJ
  • Options
    Kathy,

I went in for my sonogram on Saturday to clear me for my Clomid. I talked with the doctor about using the pregesterone supplements since all my levels have been just barely at the "acceptable level of 10". The only time I had a high progesterone (27) was also the month that I got my BFP (later m/c). I will begin the progesterone suppositories with this IUI cycle.

Just curious, are you using them as a precaution or for some other reason? Also, have you have any problems with it?

Thanks,
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Misty & Carla~
    Congratulations on your first cycle!! What an exciting and nervous time that is for everyone!! Try not to get too wrapped up in those of us that have been at this for awhile... You could be one of the lucky ones that get your BFP in your 1st or 2nd attempt! Good Luck!!

Christa & Bess~
    Yes, those BFN are a bummer, but I know this will all be worth it in the end!! We took December off too - it was a hard wait & I am very glad to get started again.

Looks like all of us will begin our TWW about the same time, with Misty & Carla going this weekend, I'll follow next (prob early next week), then Christa & Bess maybe late in the week!! How exciting!!

Best of luck, girls!!
    Kimberly & Tina
  • Options
    Hi Kimberly,

This is going to sound kinda nuts, but I am taking them b/c my doctor told me too.... I thought everyone did this as part of the fertility treatment... but I could totally be in the dark about this. :) My doctor hasn't said anything about my progesterone levels being too low; just that progesterone supports the pregnancy once fertilization and implantation occurs.

I have not had many problems with it, other than the obvious pain in the neck ones like having to insert them in a public bathroom at school or work (it gets kind of complicated....wash hands, attempt to open packet, get packet half way open, hope that the suppository has not broken in half, hope that the suppository does not fall on the floor, insert, wash hands again, hurry up and get back to my chair in class or work so that it stays put). I can tell you that wearing a pad is very helpful!! I insert one in the early part of the day and one right before I go to bed. I think there might be a few side effects, but it is manageable... I can get a bit snappy, but that is not too unusual for me ;)

Hope this helps! So glad you had the initial sonogram! What a relief to get the good news that you can go forward with the clomid!! Wishing everyone the best results!

Kathy
  • Options
    Kathy,

I don't think everyone does take them, it just depends on your doctor's preferences. After my 1st 3 unmedicated IUIs, my doctor gave me the option to start using them when I also started clomid. Looking back now, I think I was more focused on the clomid, which is why I didn't take her up on the progesterone supplements. I really wish I had started them earlier.

I hear that there are newer kinds of progesterone supplements out now (pills), but also cost a bit more that the suppositories... Not sure how much more though.

Thanks for your warning about the "snappiness". I will have to watch that one carefully since that is not too unusual for me either!!

You only have 7 more days to go!! Hang in there!!
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Kathy and Kimberly:
    I'm glad that you guys brought this up. I have been wondering a lot recently about when Drs typically start women on meds and/ or taking ultrasounds for follicles. We have so far had one unmedicated cycle that was a BFN. I'm wondering when we should get a little more aggressive, but I haven't had any luck yet reaching our Dr (grrrr!).

When did everyone start getting ultrasounds? It seems like some people do it right away, but our Dr has never mentioned it.

When do people typically start on progesterone or clomid?

Thanks for any input! Good luck everyone!
    Cindy
  • Options
    Cindy,

Since I had no known fertility issues, our doctor recommended 3 unmedicated cycles. Once that came & went with all BFNs, we sat down again & discussed the option of using Clomid, Ovidrel (trigger shot), & Progesterone. We began to use the Clomid with the 4th cycle. They also began tighter monitoring with the sonograms once we started the meds. Prior to the meds, I would just have 1 sono on insemination day to ensure everything looked good before & after the IUI.

You are right that we are all doing things slightly different. It seems to depend on the doctor's experience and preference more than anything. Additionally, some doctors give the patient a lot more say than others too.

Hope this helps...
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Thanks Kimberly, that really is helpful. It's information that I had been wanting, but hadn't had any luck finding. I know that part of it (a big part, I think!) is just that I'm being impatient, but you know how all-consuming it can be, especially when so much of it feels outside of your control. Well, I could go on all day, but thanks again for your input!

Cindy
  • Options
    Hi Cindy,

I think Kimberly said it perfectly...every person's situation is different. My doctor does an initial sonogram on day 3 of my cycle. I also start Clomid on day 3, provided everything looks good in the ultrasound. I take clomid for 5 days, then estrogen for a few days, then have an ultrasound the morning before my insemination. If my follicles look ready, then I get the HCG injection the night before my insemination; then we inseminate two days in a row. I got a negative result on our first try, still waiting on the results for try # 2. Good luck to us all!!

Kathy

Kimberly,

Thanks for your encouraging words. Yes, only 7 days to go... I can do it!!! :) We can all do it.
  • Options
    Thanks Kathy. When we initially met w/ the Dr there was no reason to suspect any fertility issues (I do suspect them now, for reasons entirely separate from our one BFN). Still, I couldn't help but notice that some people seem to be a little more aggressive very early. And I feel like I have to search for this information myself since there's a lot that I've learned that the Dr never mentioned, and because I'm finding him very hard to contact these days.

Anyway, thanks again. Seven days... good luck!
  • Options
    I just wanted to agree with some of the previous posts...I think it depends on the doctor. Before I could even go ahead with my first IUI, my doctor had me do a lot of tests, even though I did not suspect any fertility issues. At first I thought it was a big pain and a lot of money that didn't need to be spent, but in the long run it really worked out well. We discovered early on that the end of my left tube was blocked, so we knew we had to focus on the folicles on the right side. I used Clomid, trigger shot, and ultrasound monitoring (day 3 of cycle before starting Clomid and to check for residual cysts, then day 12 to check if folicles were good size before trigger shot). We did the IUI 30-36 hours after the trigger shot. I also used the progesterone suppositories twice a day starting on day 3 (I think?) after the IUI. My first three IUIs failed, so we switched donors. My doctor said she liked to give a donor three tries and then suggests switching, unless we really had our hearts set on a donor. I got pregnant on the first try with the new donor, but technically it was my 4th IUI.

I guess if you feel your doctor is not being as aggressive as you would like, try talking to him/her about doing more or suggest a few tests just to rule out problems. Like I said, I never would have guessed I had a problem. I'm glad I had the test and extra monitoring. I personally felt like we weren't just taking a stab in the dark that this was going to work, espcially since funds were not particially high to begin with. The wait is hard and the failed tries are even harder. Fight for that BFP!
  • Options
    Thanks, tkurth. We finally did get in touch with the Dr yesterday. We have had no reason to suspect fertility problems and I think our Dr is just more conservative by nature; he wanted to give unmedicated cycles a couple of tries before moving on. On the other hand, we would prefer to get a little more aggressive early on. I figure we could try for several months and THEN discover an issue, so why not get a little more aggressive sooner. And as I said, that's probably also me being impatient. :)

We also realized that DP's luteal phase a bit on the short side, and while the Dr wasn't sure it was really a problem, he prescribed Clomid, which she will start taking tonight. Then next week we'll get an U/S. Then we may also use progesterone, but we'll talk to him about it next week.

Thanks so much for your response and input. Every little bit of information helps, doesn't it??
  • Options
    Hello all....

We started in June and after a negative result in both June and July the Dr. did a hystogram(sp?) just to make sure that everything was ok. Which was. We then tried again in Aug and Sept. No luck again. October rolled around and again after try #5 another negative result... We skipped the month of November and started again in Dec, We then were put on Clomid and also had an HCG injection and inseminated 2 days in a row..... AND...... to our excitement we are pregnant!!!!! after 6 cycles.... Hang in there all... when the Doctor tells you YES its all worth it. We had our first ultrasound on tuesday and luckly there is only 1 healthy heart beat in there... Our due date is Aug 28. It will happen just relax...

Kristin and DY
  • Options
    Kristin and DY,

Thanks for your post AND congratulations!!! That is absolutely wonderful news for the New Year!! I have a quick question...how many follicles did you have in your last insemination?

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • Options
    Kathy,

Thank You!!!!!! It was the best Christmas Gift we could have ever recieved. As to you question, there was one follicle. The Dr. did an ultrasound and said there was one healthy and large follicle. He did the HGC injection and when we returned to his office the next day he first did an ultrasound just to make sure that she had infact ovluated by the change in the follicle. And you know the rest from there....... :)
    Kathy it will happen... I'm sending positive energy and thoughts your way..... Keep us posted.
    when will you know??

Kristin and DY

(this is actually DY and Kristin is the pregnant one...)
  • Options
    Kristin & DY,
    Congratulations!!! I am very jealous of you gilrs but glad to hear it! =)Hope you have a smooth & uneventful pregnancy!

Cindy,
    It's good that your doctor was willing to step you up to the next level. Good luck on the clomid! It seems that some people have some side effects from it, but I never have. I assume since you are on clomid that he will also be following with sonograms...???...

Cathy,
    Hope your TWW is flying by for you! The weekend is almost here! I do have one more questions about the progesterone... How many days do you take it for??

~Kimberly
  • Options
    Kimberly,
    Dp started Clomid last night (CD4) and will go in for an u/s next week (CD11). Not sure where we'll go from there. Hope to get more info next week.

Kristin and DY,
    Congrats!

Cindy
  • Options
    DY,

Thanks for telling me it will happen! Sometimes you just need to hear that to stay positive. I am so happy for you and Kristin...yes what an amazing xmas gift!

We are going to take a HPT on Sunday, Jan 11, then go in for our blood test on Tuesday, Jan 13!! I have 5 follicles so we will see....this was our second try with the same donor.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted! :)

Kathy
  • Options
    Kimberly,

TWW is not flying, but I am making it!! :) Just a couple more days. A niece of ours is going to spend the night on Saturday, and then we are going to drive out to Huntsville to visit a nephew or ours for college. Family helps keep me distracted. :) I think we will take a test before we leave the house on Sunday!

Regarding the progesterone: my dr. said I will take it until my pregnancy test and maybe for a bit longer after that if need be. I started inserting them 3 days after my HCG shot.

How are you doing? Do you inseminate soon? Next week, right? If so, woohoo!!!!

Kathy