Options

Some advice, from someone who got pregnant.

One thing I am seeing over and over on these message boards are people "falling in love", getting very attached, bonding, etc with one particular donor. I see that as sweet but very misguided. The point is to get pregnant. If you've ever tried Internet dating you know that just because someone is good on paper doesn't mean he is good in person. We don't know if we would really like these donors in real life, so why so attached? When to switch? When you have tried 3 times and it didn't work. If you have a miscarriage with the donor. For those not faint of heart buy one vial of a donor, try once if it doesn't work switch. If it does work you know within two weeks and you have time to buy lots more for siblings. We don't know if genetic compatibilities come into play. So I say switch donors. Over and over I see women on these message boards get pregnant after switching. By the way injectibles are more likely to get you pregnant than clomid and with WAY LESS side effects. I wasn't getting pregnant on clomid. My dr told me that clomid makes the uterus a harsher environment than injectibles. Injectibles are more expensive but did the charm for me. Also definitely do acupuncture before and after every procedure. One baby aspirin doesn't hurt either. Some REs have everyone take one. I had 5 overall tries, using three different donors. First donor tried 3 times, 2 nd donor once. 3rd donor once. Guess which donor I like the best of the three? You are the right. The one who got me pregnant. As much as I "fell in love" with the first two donors do you think I give a damn about them anymore?

Comments

• Options
    Excellent post! Thanks Sweettheartt for helping me keep it in perspective! With time off from work over the holiday I have been obsessing over the donors (even though I have already purchased 2 vials for my next round). Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hi All -

Happy New Year everyone.

A few thoughts to add to this great post by Sweetheart (congratulations by the way!):

1. The average is 3-4 cycles per successful pregnancy. This is the same success rate as natural conception. The number has nothing to do with the specific donor. It is simply luck (assuming there is not a medical issue preventing pregnancy).

2. All CCB donors are equally capable of contributing to a pregnancy. They all go through the same screening and have excellent quality sperm. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that changing donors will increase your chances of success.

3. Donors sell out all the time. It is not uncommon for someone to buy 10-20 vials at a time. Do not assume your donor will be available after you are already pregnant. If you are considering multiple children, plan accordingly. Once a donor is sold out, it becomes extremely expensive to bring him back (if he even agrees to do it). Store for free now, and sell back any vials you end up not needing once your family is complete.

4. Clomid vs. injectibles is a discussion each individual should have with their physician. Drugs increase the chance of multiple births by stimulating the ovaries to produce extra eggs. If this process is not closely monitored, the results can be multiple births which bring increased risk of birth defects to the children.

5. No one ever remembers their second choice of donor once they are pregnant!

Happy holidays and good baby-making to all!

Scott
    CCB