Options

What went wrong? Two IUI cycles.

I have had two failed IUI cycles and not sure what I should do next. Donor sperm counts were all good. Can anyone see what went wrong? Shall I try more IUI or switch to IVF? I am 38, FSH 11.31, AMH 1.48, Estradiol 39

Dec. 2014, First IUI donor sperm.
1.Letrozole (7.5 mg)
2.Day 11 ultrasound (Lining 9.1 mm. One folic 15mm, another one 17mm, other two 12mm, 13mm.
3.Doctor ordered ovidrel to be take the night of Day 13, and insemination in 36 hours (morning of Day 15). But I was also told to do an LH surge test in the morning of day 13 and call the office if the result was positive so that he may move up the schedule of the insemination. The morning LH surge test was negative (but it may be due to not enough urine), so I did a second test in the early afternoon, it was positive. I called doctor, but he told me to still take the ovidrel at night (day 13) and insemination day 15. I experienced the stronger ovulation pain on day 14 between 2 pm - 6:30 pm (17 hours after ovidrel injection), so I called the doctor at 5:30pm on day 14 to inform him about the ovulation. But doctor told me to go to the clinic the next morning as scheduled as he thought it would still be within the time frame. The insemination was performed at 9:30am on day 15 ( 15 – 17 hours after the ovulation).
4.I did not get pregnant. I started my period on Day 29 as usual.

Jan, 2015 – Second IUI donor sperm
1.Letrozole (reduced to 5 mg) everyday from cd.3 to cd. 7 due to the side effects in 1st. cycle.
2. Day 12 Ultrasound - Lining 8.1 mm. 17 mm folic on right, 18 mm folic on left.
3.LH surge positive Day 13 morning, took ovidrel injection at 10:30 am on Day 13.
4.Insemination in 24 hours - morning of Day 14 because I ovulated much sooner than 36 hours after the injection.
5. I had a cold with sore throat day 10 – day 12, no fever, congested with lots of ukes in throat, some coughing due to congested throat from day 13 to day 20. Nurse told me it was fine as long as I did not have a fever.
6. Failed again.

Comments

• Options
    The only thing you need to change is expectation. IUI's only have a 20% chance of working, so you will only expect to hit one out of every five times. Some women who have a younger or better physical situation may have increased chances. For me I didn't get pregnant my first four IUIs then I got pregnant the NEXT THREE IN A ROW!!! I kept miscarrying but I was getting pregnant. My point is, its a numbers game. As long as you are with a reputable RE office you will be fine. I went in with the expectation that I would do 6 IUIs before going through IVF and I hit on numbers 5,6 and 7. I also started getting lucky when I changed donors. That may mean nothing or it may mean something.
  • Options
    Every doctor is different. Mine told me this it was about an 8% chance. (Frozen sperm lowers your chances). I am 38 with no known issues.
    She said sometimes it takes your body a few times to get it right. I had 7 fails and am now doing IVF.
    I Pray it works.
    Good luck. I have seen lots of success stories!