Options

Using Clomid

Hi, I just got my first IUI on March 17th. I did a natural cycle so I am waiting to see if it worked. If it didn't, then I will try again next month. My doctor suggested that I use clomid this next cycle but I don't know why when my progesterone level is 13.8. Does anyone have any feedback on this? What are the chances of getting pregnant with clomid? What are the side effects? Any chances of birth defects? I really don't know much about it but I heard that if you get pregnant with clomid that the chances of twins is 12%. I don't think I want to risk this since I have only financially prepared for one child at the current time. Any feedback would be great. I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Options
    ohhhh, another question. I am wondering if anyone knows of any natural ways to increase the chances of pregnancy for next time (since I don't think this time worked as I don't have any symptoms).
  • Options
    MP,

I have never used Clomid - my first IUI last week was an unmedicated one. Unfortunately it didn't take, so my RE talked to me about taking Clomid. We are both weary though because I have an 8% chance of having twins from medication. I wouldn't mind twins, but healthwise, it isn't the best thing for me. I have an appointment on Monday, so I will definitely get back to you once I get more information and decided whether or not to take Clomid.

Take care!
  • Options
    Common side effects of clomid are ovarian cysts and multiples.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. My first IUI was unsuccessful. I just had another one on April 15th. I hope it works. I didn't use clomid for the second one. I think I am going to try a few more times without clomid.
  • Options
    MP -
    Some of the natural herbs I have been researching online are red clover, partridgeberry, chasteberry, and liferoot. Red clover I have read about on many sites.

I haven't tried any of them but plan on going to the health food store today.

Good luck with your 2nd IUI!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for this advice. I have had three unsuccessful IUI's. I am trying again in July with clomid. I think I will go to the store tomorrow to get red clover. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I was reading about the red clover because I too am interested in the natural supplements but I was concerned when I read this article just now! It seems that while red clover does have some good things about it I don't think I will be taking it after reading the "notes" section toward the bottom of the article in the gray area.

I don't mean to tell anyone what not to try but thought I would share my findings :)

http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-red-clover.html
  • Options
    Sometimes you can have a successful BFP in the first try if the RE was exact with your ovulation timing. I hear that eating yams increases your fertility so it might be a good idea to eat some of those.