Options

It's getting old...

I've noticed that a lot people are simply asking for free info from other people, and it's stating to get annoying to see all these posts of people wanting free info from the folks who actually purchased it. I had to buy several photos,etc until I picked a donor. Why can't they?

Comments

• Options
    i think that scott requested everyone stop doing that because it is in violation of their policies.

i don't think anyone paid it any heed.

g
  • Options
    I have asked repeatedly and have tried to patrol the various boards to remove the requests. We are currently working with our IT department on ways to limit the ability to share information.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I am just as bothered by it as all of you.

:-)
  • Options
    Hello Scott,

I will admit that in the beginning, I did offer to share information with others. I was doing it out of the kindness of my heart, but I see now that it is not the right thing to do. Ever since the first person complained several months ago, I have not shared any information and will continue to not do so. I apologize, Scott.
  • Options
    its nice to share with others and I will continue to do...oh well.
  • Options
    I don't get it. Why is it bad? If I had information someone really wanted, I wouldn't mind sharing. To be honest this procedure is not cheap. So if I could help someone get some info or if they could help me. Why not share? In the end were all after the same dream. To have a child! Sorry I don't get it? Don't read this message wrong. I'm not asking for any information on anyone, I'm just trying understand why is so bad?
  • Options
    I agree with mommy87 who cares if they ask? You don't have to give them any info if you are against it. I bought info on several donors and I figure if I can help someone save some money why not.
  • Options
    Personally, I am not against it but at the same time I am trying to adhere to CCB's policies - plus I am tired of reading about people complaining to Scott about so and so sharing.
  • Options
    It bothers me because it's like running into panhandlers. Exchanging doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when peple just go around asking for information from everybody. Everyone is entitled to an opinion...
  • Options
    I love freebies becuz its a reccession
  • Options
    Tjmoors, mommy87, and jala, I completely agree with you.

Paying for information is necessary, but for me the cost has been unnecessarily high. At the beginning, I thought I found the right donor for me and proceeded to buy package #2 and everything else that available just to have it on file, but after reviewing the long profile, the donor is absolutely not right for me (b/c of medical history). I then bought many more donors’ info. In the end, I paid hundreds for info and still do not think that I have gotten to the right donor…

I have not gotten any free info from anyone, but I admit that I shared info that I bought with several people before. Just like tjmoors, I am not against CCB’s policy, I do it out of kindness and do not want anyone else has to be in my situation (…have to pay a lot for info). We go though very much the same process, I just don’t understand how some of you just don’t understand the feeling.

I am not worry about the fact that someone else did not pay or paid less for donor info than I did; I just feel it is not fair that I had to pay a lot to CCB and still do not get to what I need. Donor info. should be just an ordinary cost in this process.

However, I am glad to know that CCB is working on establishing a flat fee on donors’ info. Yes, charge a beginning flat fee and give account members equal access to the database of all donors’ information. That way (1) CCB can recoup the costs that it has spent to get and upload donor information, (2) we all have equal access to the information we need, and (3) there is no need for anyone to share or ask for donor info. It might be a little late for most of us but I still am glad that other new members get that convenient benefit.
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, I added up the cost of all the donor information I ever purchased and was shocked to find out that I had spent close to $900! That used to be enough for 2 donor vials (before the price increase)! That is a lot of money to be spending, but I am a picky person and there was no way I was going to pick a donor without knowing everything I could learn about him. I had the same intentions as Shine, but I understand where everyone is coming from...
  • Options
    There is no way I can afford hundreds of dollars for information. I have a savings account that I have had for years for the donor vials and AI procedure to be done. But all that money for information, that is necessary to find the right person... I think my baby dreams just got put on hold.
  • Options
    First, I'll admit I did not know it was against CCB Policy. But they are in the business of making money while helping people to achieve their dreams, so I get it. I however, do not mind sharing/exchanging.

I really hope everything is not rolled all into one. I have no interest in the Keirsey Personality Test so I would not want to pay for that.

I'm sorry if some people feel taken advantage of.
  • Options
    I think that there's enough info provided in the free details to make a decision. Personally, all I care about with my donor is that he is fertile and screened for problems...which they all are. As far as his hair color, eye color, stature, build, his level of education, which celebrities he resembles, what his blood type is, etc., that is the stuff my HUSBAND looked at when he chose the donor for us. The rest doesn't matter to us. I'm actually surprised at the amount of info provided...I have absolutely no interest in any of it. Everything else is just secondary to me. The baby's father (if I am blessed to get one eventually) is going to be my husband, so the donor is just something to help us get there because we can't do it ourselves.
  • Options
    I agree with Omesaara, the free info does provide a lot of the basic information that most should need. I used the free info to decide if I wanted to purchase the baby photo, and then used the baby photo to decided if I wanted to purchase the long profile etc. I think it would be good if CCB gave the option for a flat fee for acess to all profiles for a month and also provided what they currently have. At this point I spent 9,000 to get pregnant and lost that baby. I'll be spending more money by going trying again. I still don't think people should be going around asking for info when they can just be choosey about what they buy...even with the amount I've spent (I'm sure someone else has spent more), I'm just saying.
  • Options
    Hello mommy87,

I hope I didn't discourage you. Personally, I should have been more aware of the amount of information I was purchasing - small amounts add up overtime! Plus in the beginning, I didn't know exactly what I was looking for until later on. I could have saved more money by looking thoroughly before buying as much information as I did.

I know CCB started a special on donor information for this month, which I never had when I started searching early last year - so I think it is great that they are trying to do something to lessen the cost for us.
  • Options
    tjmoors,

No you didn't discourage me. I just started looking more into the free information using the essays a lot more. I actually got it narrowed down to 5 just from using the free stuff. I'll go from there to see what additional info I might purchase.

On a different note. Did anyone find some of the essays a bit horrible. I especially like looking at "why did you want to be a donor" and if you could leave a message one. One donor I looked at said he wanted money. Which a lot of them do say that. but for the message he just wrote "None". Personally I really think that could of been different.
  • Options
    Hi Mommy -

I couldn't agree with you more.

We always express to the donors how important this information is to our clients. But we also think it is important for you to get the "real" version of the individual, and not some sanitized answer we instruct him to give. Many of our donors are quite eloquent, but some just don't feel comfortable expressing themselves in this manor. Possibly this in itself can be somewhat helpful for you decision making process?

Best wishes,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Especially when choosing an Open Donor...