Options

Just getting started, help?

We're just starting the process, narrowing down donors, and going to the doctor on monday.

does anyone have any tips for us on this?

1. a good doctor to help us through this process (in the LA area)
2. we plan on trying at least once at home. is it normal to do it at home? if so.. how?
3. should we get an ovulation kit? and if so which one?

Comments

• Options
    tballw32,

I am nowhere near LA & I never did home inseminations, but wanted to wish you luck at your doctors appointment on Monday. You can expect that they will give you a "laundry list" of things to do before getting started. It seems overwhelming at first, but you just gotta roll with it. This is a very wild emotional roller coaster so hang on to each other for support!

Best of luck!
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Hello and welcome...

I just want to comment on the ovulation kit...Yes, I'm sure your doctor will advise you to use one...we used Clear Blue Easy...the first month was our practice month (to insure we ovulated) and our second month we bought the Clear Blue Easy digital kit. That way, there's not any quessing...it's either a smiley face or a just a circle.

I'm in Ohio, so I can't help with the doctor and we've never tried at home...but, I did read an interesting post on this board about home insemination...it was very lengthy and detailed. Do a search under something like "home" and you should be able to find it.

Good luck!
    Misty and Carla
  • Options
    Hello Misty and Carla!
    Me and Mine are also just starting out... I got the list of things to do and my doctors appointment for monday just got cancelled. We are in the Dallas area so I can't help with a Doctor but I am tracking my periods, basal body temp. and everything else going on with my body for a few months..we plan on inseminating in May for the first time...
    Keep me posted and we can be newbies together!!
  • Options
    tballw32,

Congratulations and welcome to our little community...

1) We are in Memphis, TN so sorry no help on the doctor
    2) We started with IUI at the doctors office because I'm 35 and we didn't want to "mess up" at home and loss too many cycles. With that said, there are many people that have success at home, our preference was the doctor's office because we are very comfortable with our doctor.
    3) OPK's are a must, our doctor depends on that to determine the date. For IUI she suggested that we inseminate 24 hours after we get the first positive. She wanted us to test in the morning. That may differ though for ICI, the timing.

To all newbies -

We tracked BBT and it helped us prepare and pinpoint the day. We use fertility friend... if you want to see our charting you can use this link... http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/231709

We also have a support site with information for our cryobank friends at http://cryobankfriends.blogspot.com/ anyone is welcome to send information there to be posted.

There is a facebook group called CCB friends that was recently started, that is another great way to stay connected and share our own personal info.

Last but not least... our timeline and story is listed on our blog at http://spencerrhodesfamily.blogspot.com/

Sorry for all the links but I want to share these with all newbies to the process... there is a lot of good information out there and we are trying to collect it in a few central spots, in addition to these posts.

Best of Luck to Everyone!
  • Options
    We're newbies too! We're also not in LA, so unfortunately can't offer any help on the doctor front.

I've been a bit overwhelmed with all the "stuff" to do up front as well. In the past two weeks we've picked our insemination doctor (she's an OBGYN who specializes in this stuff I guess), I had my first transvaginal ultrasound, my first hysterosalpingogram, had about 3 sets of lab tests done.... not that this is near what some people go through, but it is alot!

We just starting looking for sperm banks online tonight, and like this one and one other too... so we shall see.

Anyone in the northeast out there?

Sending fertile thoughts into the universe for us all....!
  • Options
    Hi Babydust~

Welcome to our world! Its full of highs and lows, but we all know this will be worth it in the end. Feel free to ask questions, vent your frustrations, and share your joys!

Best of luck for a speedy pregnancy!
    Kimberly
  • Options
    Hi Babydust,

We are up in New Hampshire, going for our first IUI this week. Best of luck to you!

-Stephanie
  • Options
    Hi Babydust,

I'm in Charlottesville, Virginia, but I'm moving to Illinois/Iowa in August. Hoping to get pregnant here before I go! I'm working with an RE at the university where I work.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Hey Babydust,

We live in Connecticut and now are almost into our 9th week.

DY
  • Options
    Babydust -
    on our site at www.cryobankfriends.blogspot.com I have a short list of some of the location of some of the couples on here... there are a couple, couples from the new york area...