Options

getting the ball rolling starting the process

Hi everyone I am going to be starting the process does anyone have any advice for talking to the doctor about insemination. Because I am very nerves about what my doctor might say. To however that has done the process know about how much it may cost to be inseminated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there! I am actually going to see my doctor about getting the ball rolling tomorrow. I have had a consultation with a doctor in Miami and he told me that for IUI, you can expect to pay about $1,500 (I think that includes an ovulatory drug). IVF is much more expensive and is in the neighbourhood of $13-14,000. I'm going to do 3 rounds of IUI and then go the IVF route if I'm not pregnant by then. Fingers crossed it takes the first time.

As for what your doctor might say, who cares? Seriously, this is YOUR decision, your body, your life and your child. Your doctor should support your decision, point out any potential health issues (in my case I am quite sure I'll hear about my weight and any potential complications from being obese..and 40) but he/she should NOT judge you in any way shape or form. If he/she does, you should seek out a more understanding doctor. I'm sure there are many out there.

There are some good books out there as well on single motherhood that you may want to read - they helped answer some of my questions. This is a huge step to take on our own - and information/knowledge is power. Arm yourself with as much of it as you can find.

Best of luck!
    Lisa
  • Options
    I am in the same boat you are...getting the ball rolling. I recently had a 1st trimester miscarriage (first one-not through donor sperm) and am interested in motherhood (on my own now...haha). Currently, I'm in the "healing" process physically but very optimistic emotionally and ready to explore this thing called motherhood again. Nervous, but excited all in the same. So basically, I am waiting for my hormone level to reach zero again...at the long stretch..at 32..without having to go through a DNC. Waiting for the doc to say it is okay to try again. Do you know of any insurance that covers "some" of the costs? What questions should I be asking my insurance? I wasn't deemed infertile by my doctor. I'm just choosing to go this route...any advice would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Hi, I am sorry about your miscarriage.

I suggest calling the number on the back of your insurance card and finding out about your fertility coverage. I have Oxford United Healthcare and I am covered for Level 1 and 2 but not level 3. Basically I am covered for unlimited IUI and I have no fertility issues. The donor sperm is not covered but as far as I can tell most of what I have done so far is (Consult, HSG etc). I would not have coverage for something like IVF. My insurance was very helpful with letting me know what is covered. The only thing I had to do was get a referral from my OBGYN to start with my RE. I hope this helps.

I wish you lots and lots of luck!
  • Options
    JanaBNY:

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!!! I am getting on the phone and calling my insurance company!

Again, THANK YOU!!
  • Options
    JanaBNY:

Unfortunately, my insurance does not cover anything!! Bah-Humbug! It's not gonna stop me though! I have blue cross/blue shield...I'm sure it's not them personally, it's my employer who opted out! LOL!
  • Options
    Yah, I have Blue Cross, and they cover 6 IUI's and 3 IVF's. I am very spoiled. I'm a teacher and will never be rich, but I am sooo grateful for my insurance plan. I will never complain about my salary again. Good luck. Try to think very positively. It can happen on the first try!
  • Options
    Cali-Gurl I am sorry to that. I think it is the employer that picks what's covered. Teachers are known to have the BEST coverage. Maybe your RE has a payment plan? I went a few year ago to RMA in NY when I was thinking about egg freezing and they had a payment plan for it. I don't know maybe it's a stretch but I would ask, why not?
  • Options
    It's very possible they have a payment plan. I know my dr's office does. I'll bet yours does...and they shouldn't charge interest.
  • Options
    Okay ladies...call me crazy or it just might be that i am running on fumes right now, but i only had 3.5 hours of sleep last night...but, what is RE and RMA?

tomorrow, i go back to the dr. to check hormones. hopefully i am back at zero. i guess "technically" there is such a thing as being a little bit preggo?

i will probably be paying out of pocket for everything. that's ok. this is something i want to do. i just hope it works. well, greys anatomy and private practice is on so i have to get focused. thanks SO much for the prompt responses. i really appreciate them. these chat boards give me something to look forward to! you have been awesome!
  • Options
    RMA is just a clinic in NY. An RE is a Reproductive Endocrinologist. There are a lot of abbreviations that people use on here. There is a whole thread on this. Search abbreviations on this board and there is a list which will be very helpful to you! I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow! :)
  • Options
    Jana: Thanks! Had an appointment (hopefully my last for this particular issue) on Nov 6th. My hormone levels went like this during my weekly testing period: 3500, 507, 32, 8....drum roll please be zero on Monday!!! I have visited several websites to find someone in my area that was cost effective, supportive of my mother by choice decision, and convenient. I emailed them today (Sat) and got one response back from the Medical Director to offer a free face to face consultation..responded on a Sat? Good first impression. I will call prob on Mon to see if I can schedule an appt. This stuff is pricey!! Pricey to get preggos and pricey once the baby is born... I can't keep up with the blogs very well, the system CCB uses is really not user friendly; however, I welcome the communication to me personally at caligirl921@hotmail.com. Again, thanks for the "luck". Need it! Prayers too would be nice... :-)