Options

first time/try

My wife and I are planning to start a family soon. We would ike to try a couple times just between the two of us. My wife would like to be the one to insert the donor semen in me. Has anyone else tried this? And how many attempts can we get with one vial? If the donor we like has only iui, does that mean we have to go to a phyisian for insemination? thank you for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cookie -

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. I will do my best to answer your questions in no particular order...

One vial = one insemination. Once the vial is thawed you need to use the entire thing.

IUI vials are not recommended for at-home insemination as they technically contain fewer sperm than the ICI.

Your chances of conception are much better doing an IUI insemination with a physician since the timing can be more exact and the sperm is placed significantly closer to the egg.

If you ask ahead of time, many physicians will allow a spouse or partner to actually push the plunger -- thus providing you the best of both worlds.

Best of luck to you both,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi there,
    10 years ago my wife and i conceived using ici vials and we did it at home. It worked on the second month and we had a son. We did it again 7 yrs ago, it worked the first time and we have a beautiful daughter. Now we are trying for #3 and (we are 10 yrs older .. lol) its not quite as easy.. weve been trying for 4 months, one of them we did iui with a doctor and still no luck. I guess my point is that if you are young and healthy, temp, use OPKs or fertility monitor, you should atleast try to do it at home.. it makes for wonderful stories and bragging rights for your wife! Its a wonderful sense of -WE did this together, no doctors needed!- and its super easy.. except this sperm bank doesnt supply the syringe so youll need to get a 1ml needless syringe. The one thats REALLY skinny to fit inside the vial..
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi ckpoe -

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Positive energy and success stories are always really appreciated.

I just want to make sure everyone understands you were very lucky and it is important to at least consult a physician before starting ICIs on your own to make sure everything is in order.

For those interested in using a physician for an IUI (which I highly recommend as it increases your odds significantly), many docs will allow the spouse/partner to actually push the plunger once the catheter is in place. You just have to ask. It is a nice way to have the best of both worlds (personal participation and physician help).

Good luck to everyone!

Scott
    CCB