Options

Hey Friends - Not so good news!

So we went in for our 5 wk first OB appt with the NP who was as kind as she could be. They said everything looked great. HCG had doubled, progesterone with great, did tons of blood work all negative except found I am a carrier of Beta Strep so they gave me antibiotics and said I would have to have an IV during labor. No problems, I can live with that.

Yesterday at 7w3d we went for our first ultrasound and they could only find the gestational sac, no embryo or yolk sac, just a perfectly round little gestational sac.

She said likely I would miscarry within the next few weeks. There is like .05% chance that I have a titled uterus so perhaps they could see the baby in the sac. It's incredibly strange because I have not had any cramping or bleeding. My breasts are incredibly huge and sore, I've had nausea, dizziness, emotional ups and downs, hot flashes and pretty much every typical symptom possible.

After spending most of the day yesterday crying I started looking online. Found several sites about misdiagnosed miscarriages, some crazy stories out there! So many stories about people waiting beyond 9-10 weeks before a D&C and later finding the baby. So that .05% glimmer of hope is there and probably will be I think until I actually see the miscarry.

Reality though, at this stage we should see development so we're trying to prepare our hearts for the inevitable. It's just hard not to analyze everything little thing and not feel like I did something wrong. We did blood work yesterday 12/29 and our HCG is at 15,000... the only thing we have to compare with was the early numbers of 12/1 at 23 and 12/3 at 55.

We go back in a week for another ultrasound and they will pull the hcg levels to see if it's decreasing. By week 7 the hcg should level off and is not multiplying as rapidly as in the first few weeks. I'll post here and on the blog to keep everyone up to date! Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers!

Comments

• Options
    Shannon,

I am truly sorry to hear that. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kim
  • Options
    Shannon,

Our heart goes out to you girls and our prayers are with you...We are so sorry, but we will remain optimistic with you.

Misty and Carla
  • Options
    Shannon,

You are so positive... try to stay that way. A .05% chance is still a chance. And it sounds like you are learning a lot about misdiagnosis. We are keeping you in our thoughts and hoping for the very, very best for you both. From reading your posts over the last month and a half, I cannot imagine you doing ANYTHING that would have compromised your pregnancy...you always seem so informed and so on top of everything... so many people have asked for your thoughts and advice, including myself. I will be thinking about you this week, and praying for good news.

warmest regards,
    Kathy
  • Options
    Shannon & Vickie,

I cannot find the right words to tell you how sorry I am for what you are going through. It is so difficult hearing those words, but it must be especially hard since things have been going so well.

I will be praying for you to make it through this with love and strength for each other, regardless of the outcome.

Kimberly
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your news. I commend you on your confidence and willingness to share with such a positive tone.

My hope is everything will work. My partner and I have found the road of TTC an emotional roller coaster, but always knowing we can try again keeps us going.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Gosh, I am so sorry! I do hope you guys will be among the .05%

Good luck!
  • Options
    Shannon,

Unfortunately, I can relate really well to what you are going through. We had perfect initial HCG levels and had an ultrasound at 6weeks5days and everything seemed okay but the baby was a little behind so we scheduled another ultrasound.

We knew that the placenta takes over between weeks 8 and 10 so when I reached 8 weeks with no cramping or bleeding we were ecstatic. So the friday before xmas we went in for the ultrasound at 8 weeks 2 days and the baby's heart had stopped beating and it hadn't developed anymore since the last ultrasound. We had the D&C 2 days before Xmas and I feel like I haven't stopped crying since I was looking at the ultrasound and realized what had happened.

We are trying again as soon as possible but we are more worried at this point that we will get pregnant again and we will lose another baby. Our struggle to get pregnant was nothing compared to losing our baby. We got lots of baby presents for xmas so it ruined the holidays for us.

I know that this is hard but try to keep positive and look forward to the day that everything goes like it should. If you want to talk, let me know.
  • Options
    Hi Shannon,
    I'm so very sorry that you are going through this. I truly hope that you were misdiagnosed and wish you nothing but the best of luck. I cannot even begin to imagine how you are feeling but I find that being close my partner helps me to feel better. Good luck!

Twomommies,
    I'm so sorry for your loss and I can definately understand your fear of losing another baby. I applaud you for getting right back to trying. I don't know if I would be so brave. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Truly,
    Ive
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words.. I've been looking a lot at all the posts but haven't taken time to reply to any because I think I've been in a daze since our ultrasound. We had a nice distraction this weekend though, my sister had her baby Jan. 4 and I actually was in the delivery room... ohhh my gosh, it was amazing. I have a wonderful video and some great memories. I had to really squash my own personal sadness but I know it will be our turn one day!

The crazy part of this whole thing is we thought things were okay during Christmas - however we hadn't told the extended family we were preg. so while all the other pregnant cousins were getting baby gifts, we couldn't even talk about it. Here I was feeling left out when unknowingly we were to have a bad ultrasound on Dec. 29. Since then it's been up and down and I had my small ray of hope UNTIL today. We had our follow up ultrasound.

We are still measuring at 5 week 3 days and we should be 9 weeks today! So she gave us 3 options. Continue to try and miscarry naturally, take a pill to miscarry naturally (either of those could be 1-4 weeks) or have a D&C... We are ready to be finished so we can start thinking about our next opportunity. So we are opting for D&C and I go to the hospital at 5:30am tomorrow!

We decided on something to help us.... On the donor form where it asks do you like animals, if so what is your favorite... Our donor said ducks... we've been smiling about that ever since and decided to use them in our nursery decoration. SO.. every year going forward on Aug. 14 (our original due date) we are going to donate a flock of ducks to Heifer International so they can be used be a family in another country.

It's a start to our healing and our doctor is supportive that we should try again after 2 cycles. I will still be checking these posts regularly and I'm going to work on the blog I started for cryobank friends to share. I'm so excited for everyone in their TWW and it will be great to stay in touch and live through your joy and excitement!

I'm soooooo thankful for this great group of friends! Maybe we can plan a meeting (or huge weekend play date) for everyone to get together sometime in the future?
  • Options
    Twomommies -
    I wanted to thank you for your story! I don't know why it helps to hear others stories... as sad as they may be, but for some strange reason it does make me feel a little better knowing I'm not alone! I feel the same fear with "could it happen again". I've had no bleeding, some cramping day before yesterday so it's really hard to believe. It's crazy but in my bubble bath this afternoon (yes, I'm 35 and still love bubble baths!) I was drawing little circles down in the water and I must be delusional because I called my partner in and said... look it looks like our ultrasound.

I also just finished the scrapbook of our insemination day before Christmas so I could take and show the family. We are extremely over zealous and have so much for the baby's room already... I just packed the little book away and we decided we'll get it out when we're pregnant again! My email is srhodes803@gmail.com - would love to talk more!

I am sorry for your loss, thank you again for sharing!
  • Options
    Shannon & Vickie,

I am so sorry to hear that this pregnancy did not work out. You are very courageous to share your story. I am glad that you have decided to look toward the future and continue with your journey. I know there are many tough days ahead still so I wish you much strength to make it through!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope everything goes well.

Kimberly