Options

I need better health insurance!

Anyone have any advice about insurance? I’m actually considering dropping my insurance at my job and picking up individual insurance that will cover IUI’s and in vitro. My insurance right now requires me to pay on my own for my first 6 inseminations and then they’ll pay for 3 IUI's per lifetime – that’s it! If anyone has any great insurance INDIVIDUAL plans (not the ones provided by your job which will be different than what they offer to people off the street) let me know. Thanks!! -Karen

Comments

• Options
    I've never seen an individual policy that would cover either. I had a group policy when I was pregnant, but the individual policy I have now doesn't even provide any maternity benefits (so wouldn't cover prenatal care or a vaginal birth / scheduled C-section, but would cover the incremental cost of an emergency C-section). My group policy had no fertility benefits at all - not even diagnostic work.

A group plan also gives you many more rights regarding pre-existing conditions than an individual policy does.
  • Options
    If anyone happens to read this down the road - call fertility lifelines www.fertilitylifelines.com or 1-866-538-7879 They'll give you one free round of IUI medication if you don't have insurance and make less than $100K per year. My medication for the first month from my insurance cost me $2500 so this is a great offer!!!
  • Options
    don't forget, whatever you do, don't drop a policy with maternity benifits while in the TWW. Once you get pregnant, no power on Earth can get you insurance until after the baby is born.
  • Options
    When we decided to get pregnant, my wife and I were opening a bar and didn't have insurance so I looked in to getting on an individual plan. In all the research I've done, there aren't a lot out there worth their fee. Most don't even start paying you maternity benefits till you've been with them for 2 years, and its only something like $2,000 that they'll pay a year.

The plan I did find, and that was the best out there when I was looking (I'm in Texas btw) was a 3rd party contract but the insurance is Great West.. I believe I found it at Assurant Health. Anyways, my maternity deductible is $5,000 but they pay for everything after that. Now, this does NOT include IUIs or anything that happens before actually getting pregnant. Now, it did help lower my fees for my prescriptions of Clomid, but that was it. All IUIs and ultrasounds and such, were out of pocket. My doctor is charging $2,224 to deliver the baby and all the appointments before then (I transferred to her at 20 weeks pregnant, but everything my previous Dr charged, I had to pay for). So, I will still owe once I get to the hospital, but anything above the $2,776 left of my deductible, my insurance will pick up.

Also, there was a 30 day waiting period on getting pregnant once the insurance started.

I hope that helped some. I honestly believe that company insurance is better, less expensive and lower deductibles.