Options

California Birth Certificate?

I searched the old posts couldn't find what I was looking for...

In California, though it is still wise to do a second parent adoption, it is most often legally accepted that if in a gay marriage or domestic partnership a child is born both partners are accepted as parents. Understood. My question is this: Is it acceptable for my name to be under "Father" and is that our only option? One of us has to be listed as Father?

If anyone knows or has been through this: Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    I talked to a lawyer and they said that the spouse is legally allowed to put their name on the brith certificate as the other parent.
  • Options
    In California there is no longer Mother or Father on the Birth Certificate. It lists Parent A and Parent B. And yes you can list your partner on the birth certificate.

However, I will encourage you to think about step parent adoption even though you are registered as domestic partners. When you travel to another state partners are not recognized as legal parent, so if god forbid something were to happen while you were in another state or you moved they wouldn't have rights. However step parent adoption is recognized in all states.

We have an attorney who will be handling my partner adopting our son as well as another attorney drawing up a Will that grants my partner guardianship over the baby before the adoption is final as well as if it is ever challenged.
  • Options
    Aloha All! I've also been looking into this! My wife and I are preparing to relocate to California and plan to try to get pregnant right away. A friend of mine sent me this link and it has some very helpful information on domestic partnerships in California and what is suggested as protections for lesbian couples having children.

http://www.nclrights.org/site/DocServer/AB205.04.2007.pdf?docID=1264

Lauren