Options

Survey Please!

I currently color my hair and I've read a lot of conflicting info on whether or not I should continue doing so when I become pregnant. Some research suggest switching to only highlights which would prevent the chemicals from being in direct contact with the scalp. Others say I that not enough chemical is absorbed by the scalp and I should simply use colorants with the fewest number of chemicals possible. Everything suggests I not color in the first trimester for sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Experiences? Anyone ask their doctors this question? Any definitive data sources that I could check out?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses and baby dust to all!!!

Comments

• Options
    Anybody?
  • Options
    I just whacked off over 8 inches of my hair this weekend in preparation for pregnancy. It will be quicker to get back to my natural color this way. I've asked my RE and he told me 'nothing that touches your scalp' but 'the foil thing would be ok'. I might do foil highlights after my second trimester to try to blend it, still not sure if I'll do it though...
  • Options
    Today while sitting in the waiting room for our doc. apt. i actually came by a magazine article that was entitled "myths of pregnancy" and the first topic was: "hair dye." As I read on, it stated that there is no substantial evidence that coloring your hair during pregnancy is in any way harmful to your developing baby. It advises women who are concerned to simply do their best to keep the chemical off their scalp (which most dyes advise you to do anyway). According to the article your body does not take in enough of the chemical to cause any problems.

If you are adamant about NOT using dye, maybe try natural uses like lemon juice/sunlight or natural/organic products for darkening or lightening your hair which is probably the route i'll take.
  • Options
    Well I don't have a definite answer to this but to be on the safe side, I would not dye my hair. I was just talking to my partner a day ago about this very same thing. I dye my hair quite often, and just to be safe, I won't be doing this 3 months before trying to get pregnant. We decided on this reason being that most things you can't have while you are pregnant you should give up/not do 3 months pryor to getting pregnant. A really good book to read is The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy and Birth. I don't remember if they touch on hair dye or not, but they bring up many good points on other things most people never think of. I hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Well I look it up in the book I had mentioned earlier, and it says it is ok to use organic hair dyes during your pregnancy :)