Options

Luteal Phase Defect???

I just need to vent to those of you who understand and know what I am going through. I had my first IUI on Monday and I have a feeling that I have a Luteal Phase Defect and it has caused my period to come early! I started having light bleeding on Friday and since then it has gradually increased :( I read online that a LPD can cause your period to come early. I was not put on progesterone because my RE said I did not need it - now I feel like if I was prescribed progesterone that I wouldn't be having this problem.

It just frustrates me because every cycle counts immensely for me because I will only be here for a few more months......We'll see once I go to my appointment tomorrow, but I don't think I will be getting that BFP this month :(

Comments

• Options
    Check your FB inbox.
  • Options
    I have the same problem off and on, started with a luteal phase of 9 days, almost two years ago, my acupuncturist was quickly able to bump it up to 12 days which it stayed at for along time. When had IUI in march, flo came early back to ten day luteal phase, back to spleen six points (acupressure) and figurin more out. Any advice about the luteal phase would be greatly appreciated. Am already on 100 mg of B-6, acupuncture and fertility yoga. If I end up going with the progesterone, I will use the natural cream.
  • Options
    So I was right - 4 days after my IUI my period came :-( That means it is 6 days early and I have never had a period come early - ever. I am so disappointed that this has happened to me on my first try. I go in for an ultrasound on Monday and will see from there when I will be able to start IUI #2.

I pray that next time I have better luck.

Take care everyone!!!
  • Options
    2beamom,

Glad to hear from someone else who's had the same problem. I'm not really sure if it was LPD or what. My RE has said that she's had patients who come in with regular cycles and when they are trying to conceive, their cycles become irregular! Maybe it was the stress or being nervous and anxious, but it was such a disappointment and something I didn't expect for my first IUI. I was supposed to do a pregnancy test on Monday (3/29), but instead I will be going in for an ultrasound to get ready for IUI #2.

I wish you nothing but the best :)

Tara
  • Options
    tjmoors,

I am so glad everyone mentioned this. I am 42, never been late with AF in my life. I've been focused on this fertility journey since Nov. 09 (monitoring BBT, and everything else) Well, this month my period is 6 days early for the first time in my life! I am really upset about this, but your post has helped me a little. So, does the RE think it will get back to normal if this happens to someone?

I almost feel like I caused this by focusing so much on my cycle for the last few months (counting and recording, etc) aargh!
  • Options
    stargazer7,

We are in the same boat! My period came 6 days early this month too - got it on the 19th instead of the 25th. It is so bizarre and unexpected, but my RE did say they were going to monitor me and try to make sure this doesn't happen again. From what I've read, it is not uncommon but too bad it had to happen to us.

I'm just trying to relax and go with the flow more, which is hard for me because I am such a control freak! lol I think we should just try to relax more - even though I know it's easier said than done.

Keep in touch and good luck! :)
  • Options
    I agree....more relaxing is the key. One thing I keep thinking about sounds goofy, but I know its true. I have a friend who was in a sorority and lived in the sorority house in college. She told me it was so weird, 'cause after awhile everyone would have their AF at the same time. And she is not the only one I have heard that from! That must mean that our thinking does control it somewhat, I guess.

Anyway, I know this past month I thought about it every day, cause with all the "green" crap I've been eating and drinking, the last one was much heavier, so I was anxious to see if it would be heavier this month (and it was) but it was early :(. I also think the baby aspirin every day is making my flow heavier (hope not tmi)

Anyway, thanks for listening.....all these obssessive thoughts can cause overload sometimes...LOL
    Best of luck to you also & lets keep in touch!
  • Options
    Hey stargazer7,

I used to read a lot of those teen magazines back in high school (YM, Seventeen, etc.) and remember reading about women getting their period around the same time as their friends. My sister would get her's around the same time as her close friends. I forgot the whole reason behind it, but it does happen.

I'm trying to relax more and not go crazy and research everything online because it just makes me worry. I hope I get good news from my RE on Monday so I can start prepping for IUI #2.

I agree with the obsessive thoughts. lol! Take care :)
  • Options
    I have an interesting tidbit to add. Though my luteal phase is usually, at least was, 11 or 12 days, my one cycle that it was longer, it was 15 days, and I was defintely not pregnant Anyway, my mom who I was living with, had a period that month (she's been going through menopause for years) So cycles can defintely synch up! :)Her period made my luteal phase long. And yes stress and anxiety are the number one cause of a shortended luteal phase, esp if it is new for you.
  • Options
    thanks tjmoors....good luck on Monday, I'll be praying for you. I know what you mean about the internet....its a double whammy (good and bad) you can find just as much good news as bad...LOL
    Stay strong!

good to hear, 2beamom...hopefully things will get back to normal.
    take care:)
  • Options
    2beamom: Thanks for that information - it is always great to hear from others who have went through the same thing :) Once I get my appointments set, I am going to relax at home or go to the beach...I definitely need to relax and be as stress-free as possible, and Hawaii is a great place for that.

stargazer7: I find that I am more relaxed and not as overwhelmed now that I've stopped researching like crazy! lol I hope my next IUI/TWW will be much better than the first one. It's hard not to go crazy during a TWW - and mine was actually only 4 days.

I wish you both the best of luck and have a great weekend!
  • Options
    tjmoors, I reread your post from the 23rd, I can't figure out how you could have a luteal phase of only 4 days. What exactly does your doc think of this. I have never heard of one less than 8 days. I mean I know stress can cause crazy things, but am confused. Are you using OPK kit for IUI timing?
  • Options
    2beamom,

I was freaking out before I got to see my doctor, so I read about LPD and was wondering if that is what I had because my period has never ever been a week early. My RE just thinks that maybe stress or anxiety from everything caused my period to come early. She said it is not unheard of and has seen other women whose regular cycles have become irregular once they tried to conceive.

I don't know...I will know more when I go to my appointment tomorrow. LPD or not, I just hope my annoying period does not come early again!
  • Options
    Good luck tjmoors!:)
  • Options
    Thank you, 2beamom :) I had my ultrasound done yesterday and for some reason, I am not a good amount of eggs :( I have another ultrasound on Friday to see my follicle growth and then I will find out when I will have IUI #2. Will probably do a trigger shot on this second time around.

How is the donor-choosing process coming along? I hope you find who you are looking for :) Best of luck and take care!
  • Options
    I actually decided and ordered my vial last week, planning on waiting til June for 2nd IUI, keep us posted on your journey. :) Nicole
  • Options
    I seem to have this too, though I haven't started my insems yet!
    My cycles went from being about 35 days to 23, and I thought I was the only one to have this 'oddity.' >_0
  • Options
    Hey Lydia,

My cycle went from 33 to 17 days! I'm hoping that it was just stress and not anything else. I am more relaxed with each appointment and hope my next IUI has positive results all around :)

My RE has dealt with others who became irregular once they started trying to conceive. Best of luck when you get started!
  • Options
    A 17 day cycle, wow! 0_0

I wonder why they get shorter and more frequent rather then longer with some skipping, as logic should dictate? Especially if we are under 'stress' with this.

I's like our bodies start going into a form of reproductive overdrive, with more ovulation in the form of shorter and more frequent cycles, rather then skipping like you would get if you were starving or under other severe stressors. (Or so I would imagine.)

Thankies tjmoors! :)
  • Options
    Update: No IUI for me this month :-( Had an ultrasound this morning and not only am I not producing good eggs, but my follicles haven't grown much since Monday's ultrasound. I have to wait until AF comes this month and will be starting on Clomid 50 mg.

Such a disappointment because that is just another setback to my already limited time here. Two more months left in Hawaii......I pray that my next IUI will be THE ONE.

Best of luck and Happy Easter!
  • Options
    sorry to hear that, tjmoors. Do you have a time deadline on your IUIs?

I'll bet Hawaii is beautiful though....

Take care & Happy Easter!

Baby Dust to You!!!
  • Options
    Hey stargazer7 :) How was your Easter? Hope you had a great one! And yes, unfortunately I have a deadline :( I arrived here March 1st and will be here 'til June - I was hoping to do one IUI per month, totaling it to 4 IUI's but because of unforeseen circumstances I only really have 2 tries.

I am originally from American Samoa, a US Territory in the Pacific and there are no fertility treatments there, which is why I moved to Hawaii. It is beautiful over here, but I would be extremely happy if I got a BFP :)

If it doesn't work out by June, then I am going to save up for another year and either come back to Hawaii or find another RE in another state. I am not giving up hope :)

Take care and thanks for checking in!

Tara
  • Options
    Now 7 day luteal phase after 2nd iui! And wasn't stressed or nervous this time...hmmm