Options

Shipped Semen Too Soon - Now what?!

Has anyone had this happen?? We've been tracking my ovulation and bbt, so had the vials shipped based on when I should ovulate. We had it arrive a couple days early, due to the weekend, and just in case. But now I'm late and tomorrow is the 7th day of the tank. My thought (after searching online for a bit) it to move the vial to a dry ice container to keep frozen. Could I just move it to my freezer though? I mean, they don't become mobile until the thaw right, so I just need to keep them frozen? UGH - this is so frustrating and possibly expensive if it's a total loss. Oh, these were shipped to my home and my doctor doesn't have a tank to store them.

Thanks~ 2 Mommies

Comments

• Options
    Mommies,
    I'm in the same situation as yours, but I live one hour from CCB headquarter, so I just bring the tank back to them for refill nitrogen gas.

For your situation, can you call your RE and ask them to store those vials for you. They may have special refrigerator. You need to call them soon, before too late.
    Take care.
  • Options
    In case that you have to put it into your refrigerator. You should set your refrigerator to the lower temperature as possible.

Also, when you are ready for IUI, you should think about how to carry the frozn vials into ice container to bring it into your doctor office.
  • Options
    Maybe you should call RE ofices or google banks in your area and find out if you can store it there for however long, it would be cheaper than wasting the vial and then paying shippeing for another vial.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    We are doing an at home ICI and after more reading online its sounding like as long as we keep them frozen, we are ok. They don't become mobile until thawed, so.... Fingers Crossed!

I welcome further tips on this or doing the ICI! Did you do the ICI the day of Ovulation (the day your temp went up)?
  • Options
    I almost had this problem a few months ago, and was told to google places around me that have nitrogen gas that they can re-fill your tank with. I forgot what type of places that would be, but maybe someone else who isn't having a brain fart right now can help me out?
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I didn't think of a tank refill. I found a cryogenics place in town (not a fertility place, an industrial place) & they refilled the tank no problem! Said it should easily last 3 weeks...so me being worried 8 days into a 7 day tank was probably not needed, but better safe than sorry for the cost of 2 vials of "goods"! Now if we need to wait until next month, it's all good :)
  • Options
    Mommies-

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to find someone to refill the tank! Now you can just sit back, wait for a surge and not stress! That makes me happy!
  • Options
    For the record....placing vials in your home freezer is not a good thing!! A regular freezer is WAY too warm for a cryogenically (is that a word?lol!) sperm sample to remain viable. Liquid nitrogen is far colder.
  • Options

Seriously-NEVER THINK OF PUTTING IT IN A FREEZER OR FRIDGE!