Options

WHAT LAST NAME BABIES CAN HAVE?

I HAVE A QUESTION HOW YOU GUYS HANDLE THE BABYS LAST NAME? WE WANT TO HAVE 2 BABIES BUT WE WANT THEM TO HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME. MY PARTNER IS HAVING ONE AND I WILL HAVE ONE LATER. I WAS READING ONLINE ABOUT IT( gay and lesbian parents could hyphenate both last names and also use that last name for their children). When an unmarried couple has a child, whose last name does the child take?
In the vast majority of states, when it comes to baby names, anything goes. This includes first, middle, and last names. You don't have to give the baby the last name of either parent -- for example, Mary Jones and Jack Brown can name their child Sunrise Smith. You may opt to hyphenate both of your last names, give the child one of your last names as a middle name -- or decide later and amend the birth certificate to reflect your new choice. (You can amend a birth certificate by contacting your state's Department of Vital Statistics, which you can locate through the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.)

NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE.

Comments

• Options
    Hi I had the same question I learned that in some states anything goes a well so the best thing to do is ask a lawyer in your state anther way is to change your names to the same last name. I think it is about one- hundred dollars to about six hundred dollars if you have a legal partnership I think it is fee but not sure on that. In this book called The Complete Single Mother second edition, authors are Andrea Engber and Leah Klungness, PhD. This number will help find it in a book store ISBN; 1-58062-302-6. On page 118 there are some details that may help. Also this book is a good read it has tips and trick to get your journey. Lots of baby dust
  • Options
    My partner and I got married and I legally changed my name to hers. This way, when our children are born, they will have her last name from the start! Good luck!
  • Options
    You can usually put whatever name you want for the child's name. So the last name does not have to match the birth mom.

My daughter was born before my partner and I got married but my daughter has her last name. I changed my name after we legally got married....so now all our names match! Yeah!!

If your partner is doing a 2nd parent adoption the adoption attorney will also ask if you want to change the child's name of the "new" birth certificate.
  • Options
    For me its a little bit harder because I have a son from a prior straight relationship and he has his father's last name and it woulb be different last names so peolple tells legally they won't be sibblings.
    Can a female name be in the birth certificate as birth FATHER?
  • Options
    Actually a lawyer told us that in California same sex couples both get listed as parents on the birth certificate. I am not sure if it is the same in all states. But here, I will be listed as the other parent when my wife gives birth.
  • Options
    My partner and I are considering changing our names to her mother's maiden name, and giving our children that name as well so we would all have the same one. I'm having a little trouble giving up my last name though, because it feels like the only connection I have to my father who passed away a few years ago. I say do whatever feels right and works for your family.
  • Options
    When my wife and I were married, I changed my last name to hers. We felt closer to her family and knew that we wanted to have the same last name. Anyone can change their name to anything at any time. I paid a $60 fee (or so) and submitted the paperwork to my state. It took about 6 weeks because I had to post an announcement in the newspaper then send that announcement back to the state agency, one of the state requirements.

As far as both mothers' names being listed on the birth certificate, it depends on the state you are in. In Hawaii, only the birth mother can be listed on the birth certificate. However, in states where same-sex marriage is legal, both mothers can be listed on the birth certificate at the time of birth if you are legally married at the time. Because of this, my wife and I will be moving to Connecticut and will be legally married there before giving birth. It is important to us to live in a place that recognizes our family in this way. For us, this is important enough to pick up our lives and move from Hawaii to Connecticut.
  • Options
    I am so glad this question came up. My partner and I were thinking of just using both (hyphenating) both of our names. Is this possible in Texas? Anyone out there know??
  • Options
    We live in Kansas and just had our baby girl in December and we gave her both our last names...no questions asked.