Options

Anxious to be a mom

I have taken a long time to make the decision to become a single parent. Like alot of women, I thought I would be married and have kids by now, but it just didn't happen for me. I was ready to do the insemination a few years ago..now I'm almost 38 and am just wondering why it took me so long. I feel really good about my decision but now have encountered another problem; I cannot find a doctor who will do donor sperm with a cryobank because I'm not married. The only place who will do it is very expensive. I wouldn't be looking to a cryobank for sperm if I was married! Being a mother is an experience I am not willing to miss out on.

Comments

• Options
    WOw...that is just horrible...where do you live ?
  • Options
    That is HORRIBLE! I'm not familiar with the laws but you should check on it because it sounds like discrimination to me! What if you were in a same sex relationship?? What state do you live in? When you say expensive, how much do you mean? I am going to a doctor who charges approx $700 for one cycle but does 2 per cycle. There office is in a hosp and I was told that the hosp charges a separate fee of $1000.

I guess it's all about how bad you want it as to how much you will pay and in the end...children are priceless!

However, I would def check the laws.

Good Luck and Happy THanksgiving.

Jen
  • Options
    I ran into one doctor that was the same way, then I called Cryobank and was referred to a great doctor.
  • Options
    It depends on the medical plan coverage. Mine was like that...I had to pay for everything out of pocket because I was single, but they did cover my tests HSG, confirmation of pregnancy, etc.
    Good luck.