Options

ICSI

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about this. My clinic requires ICSI for all donor or frozen sperm with IVF.

Is that normal?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ICSI is intra cytoplasm sperm injection which is done by biologist which manually picks up one sperm and injects directly into the egg cell.

You can google for ICSI video which shows this process in the lab.

Due to expensive IVF procedures, they require ICSI to make sure that the eggs are fertilized for the success rate of IVF. So it is normal that they require ICSI.
  • Options
    Barbb, we just completed our first round of IVF which was successful. They did ICSI with my eggs and our clinic decides on a case by case situation. Not all patients need ICSI. When they told us we did I was a little confused because from what I read on the internet it sounded like it was needed more for a low male sperm factor and when you are using donor sperm that is usually not an issue. Anyways as we went through the process our doctor also said that if they suspect that you may have a low number of eggs they do not want to risk losing any to fertilization issues so they recommend ICSI to hopefully increase the number of fertilized eggs. In our case the retrieved 8 eggs and with ICSI seven fertilized.

Hope that helps. I have read that some clinics do ICSI on ALL patients regardless to improve overall success with IVF.
  • Options
    We did ICSI the first time with not luck. We did traditional ( where they out everyone in the petri dish and let it happen) the 2nd time with wonderful results! I thing it depends on the situation.

Good luck!