Options

Claiming on Taxes

I am told that this whole process can be claimed on my taxes under "MEDICAL AND DENTAL EXPENSES", such as prescriptions, appointments, labs, mileage, IUI, and the sperm. I have it all figured out except where to put the sperm on the tax form. The options are DOCTORS, DENTISTS, AND OTHER CARE PROVIDERS, TESTS AND LAB FEES, PRESCRIPTIONS, MEDICAL AIDS AND DEVICES, AND OTHER ELIGIBLE EXPENSES. Does anyone know which category to claim the sperm? I want to be sure I claim everything correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    My tax pro (in California) explained to me that the only time the cost of the actual sperm would be eligible for the tax exemption is if there is a documented medical condition diagnosed by a physician that requires the use of donor sperm, such as a man with low counts or incompatibility, etc. So single women or same-sex couples wouldn't meet the criteria. But all of the other fertility related items are definitely eligible (OPKs, even pre-natal vitamins). You should definitely talk to a tax pro about it though because he said it was pretty complicated and certainly varied case-by-case. Good luck!