Options

timing of IUI after HCG

I keep reading on here that IUI should be 36 hours after trigger shot. My Dr does 24 hours, and I am concerned the timing may not be right. I am trying to tell myself to trust my dr, and that she has gotten many people pregnant so must know what she is talking about. She says sperm live 36 hours, even if it is not fresh sperm. I keep reading it is more like 12 hours. Has anyone gotten pregnant having IUI 24 hours after trigger, instead of 36?

Comments

• Options
    If you only do one IUI it should be 36 hours later. If you do back to back IUI's they are scheduled at 12 and 36 hours.

For example, Monday you trigger at 8:00pm. For back to back IUI's you go in Tuesday at 8:00am and Wednesday at 8:00am. For a single IUI you go in Wednesday at 8:00am. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for getting back to me! I changed RE's and my new one does IUI 36 hours after trigger. I am much more comfortable with this.
  • Options
    I am glad you found a new doc that you are more comfy with...I have had this concern before too. I do know a few women who have used the same doc as I have that have had iui 24hours post shot and it worked. 4 to be exact and two of them have now had second babies with the 24 hour protocol.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi there,
    I had an ultrasound on a Thursday morning and saw that I was just about ready to ovulate. In order to trigger it, the doctor gave me a shot of hCG and that was at 11am. I came back the following morning at 9am for the insemination, so roughly 24 hours later. From everything I've read on reliable medical websites, it's better to err on the side of inseminating sooner rather than later since the sperm can live up to 72 hours and will wait for the egg.

I just found out that I'm pregnant so something worked right! Good luck to you.
  • Options
    Hi amoebala,
    What a thrill to get pregnance at 45 years. Congratulion!!! You are my inspiration to continue to try to get pregnance. I'm doing my 3rd IUI next week. How many have you took to get prenance ?
    God Bless Us All.
  • Options
    Hi Hannaha,

Believe it or not, I got pregnant on the very first try. My doctor warned me that women my age should go straight for IVF and bypass AI, but I at least wanted to try this for a few cycles before trying something more invasive.

I had been tracking my cycle using ovulation predictor kits and taking my BBT everyday for 4 months before even approaching a doctor. I had all of my tests done like the Day 3 FSH test and Day 21 progestone test. Those results were very positive to indicate that I was still fertile and likely capable of carrying. My cycle is very predictable but my doctor was worried that it's only 24 days long and I ovulate on day 10.

Typically by day 10-12 the lining isn't thick enough to support implantation. So on the first month we skipped even trying because I showed no sign of ovulation and the lining was too thin. But the following month seemed to make up for it with a nice fat follicle on day 9 and a lining that's more typical of day 17. The doctor thinks I maybe have had such a light period the month before which gave way to perfect conditions the next month. I was given an injection of hCG and got the insemination done the next morning. I had three follow-up injections of hCG every third day. Saturday was the big day to reveal the results and I found out it worked! Now I'm investigating everything I can to maintain the pregnancy since I know it's a high risk at my age.
  • Options
    Thanks Amoebala. Wish you have a wonderful pregnancy time..:). Wow, what a charming luck. I'm 40 years old. I just canceled my 3rd IUI because it is on the right side where my tube is blocked.

So i'm taking a break and come back to it next month.
  • Options
    Amoebala:

I am the same as you as far as a short cycle. I ovulate day 11 surge day 10. What is considered a good lining? I know my follies do not mature on their own so I have injections 22menopur 75 bravelle beginning day 3. I am starting to think that I need to start injectibles day 2.

Thanks ad you are so lucky. I am on my 5th IUI one cancelled cycle.

YOu are sooooo lucky.
  • Options
    I hope to be as blessed as amoebala since I am the same age... I also have what's considered a short cycle, only 26 days. And my doctor didn't even mention IVF as the first choice... he talked about only IUI for me right now. I had some tests done @ my OB-GYN after my . was done and, based on those results, he wants to start with IUI. Hope to have my first one (and hopefully only one for this child... thinking ahead already!! :-)) in May.
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Sorry, I'm a little confused is 24 hrs good ? Because I read that 36 hrs was the norm. I ttc a few yrs ago and my Dr. did my trigger shot 36hrs with know success. I'm going to try again in a few months . So I want to make sure that I have the timing right ..

Thanks,
    Kimberly W