Options

Did you know that There's general agreement that pregnant women and those trying to conceive should

Did you know that There's general agreement that pregnant women and those trying to conceive should avoid consuming large quantities of caffeine.
Caffeine during pregnancy
o
Highlights
Now that I'm pregnant, should I cut back on coffee and other sources of caffeine?
Are there other possible risks besides miscarriage?
Which foods and beverages contain caffeine?
Caffeine chart: Amounts in common foods and beverages
I'd like to kick the caffeine habit while I'm pregnant. Any tips?

Now that I'm pregnant, should I cut back on coffee and other sources of caffeine?
There's general agreement that pregnant women and those trying to conceive should avoid consuming large quantities of caffeine. But after decades of controversy and conflicting evidence, there's still no real consensus on how much caffeine is safe during pregnancy.
The March of Dimes advises women to limit their caffeine intake to less than 200 mg per day. This recommendation was prompted by the results of a study published in the March 2008 issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, showing that moms-to-be who consumed 200 mg or more of caffeine a day had double the risk of miscarriage compared to those who had no caffeine.
Not all studies show a link between caffeine consumption and a higher risk of miscarriage. Still, it may be smart to err on the side of caution and stick to the March of Dimes recommendation. (See chart below to get a sense of the caffeine content of various types of coffee, tea, and other common sources of caffeine.) And, of course, if you decide to cut out caffeine altogether, you won't get any arguments from your doctor or midwife.
Are there other possible risks besides miscarriage?
Yes. Because caffeine can cause blood vessels to constrict, it may reduce blood flow to the placenta. And because it easily crosses the placenta and reaches your baby (who then very slowly metabolizes it), caffeine may directly affect his developing cells.
A study in Denmark found that the risk of stillbirth more than doubled in women who drank a great deal of coffee per day — eight cups or more — compared with non-coffee drinkers. And some studies suggest that high levels of caffeine consumption by Mom may slightly reduce a baby's birth weight, but other research has shown no association.
One study found a link between maternal caffeine consumption equal to three cups of coffee per day and an increased risk of having a son born with undescended testes. This happens when the testes don't move from the pelvis into the scrotum as they usually do in late pregnancy.
Other research has shown that babies whose mothers consumed more than 500 mg of caffeine a day had faster heart rates and breathing rates and spent more time awake in the first few days after birth.
One thing's for sure: You'll feel better if you cut back on caffeine. It's a stimulant, so it raises your heart rate and may raise your blood pressure slightly, too. Plus, it can make you feel jittery and cause insomnia. Caffeine can also contribute to heartburn (something you probably don't need help boosting!) by stimulating the secretion of stomach acid.
These effects may be more pronounced or last longer than usual as you approach your due date, because your body breaks down caffeine more slowly as your pregnancy progresses. And that means a higher level of caffeine in your bloodstream and in your baby's.
There's one more reason to cut back on coffee and tea during your pregnancy, whether it's caffeinated or not. These beverages contain compounds called phenols that make it harder for your body to absorb iron. This is particularly important because many pregnant women are already low on iron. If you drink coffee or tea, have it between meals so it'll have less of an effect on your iron absorption.
Which foods and beverages contain caffeine?
Coffee is one, of course. The amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee varies widely, depending on the type of bean, the brewing method, and how strong it's brewed. And your serving size depends on the size of the coffee cup.
To cut your caffeine intake, though, you'll need to be aware of other sources, like tea, soft drinks, "energy" drinks, chocolate, and coffee ice cream. Caffeine also shows up in herbal products and over-the-counter drugs, including some headache, cold, and allergy remedies.
Caffeine chart: Amounts in common foods and beverages

Coffee Amount Caffeine
coffee, generic brewed 8 oz 102-200 mg
coffee, Starbucks brewed 16 oz (grande) 330 mg
coffee, Dunkin' Donuts brewed 16 oz 206 mg
caffé latte or cappuccino, Starbucks 16 oz (grande) 150 mg
caffÉ latte or cappuccino, Starbucks 12 oz (tall) 75 mg
espresso, Starbucks 1 oz (1 shot ) 75 mg
espresso, generic 1 oz (1 shot) 30-90 mg
coffee, generic instant 8 oz 27-173 mg
coffee, generic decaffeinated 8 oz 3-26 mg

Tea Amount Caffeine
black tea, brewed 8 oz 40-120 mg
green tea, brewed 8 oz 30-50 mg
decaffeinated black tea 8 oz 2 mg
Starbucks Tazo Chai Tea latte 16 oz (grande) 100 mg
Nestea 12 oz 26 mg
Snapple 16 oz 42 mg
Lipton Brisk iced tea 12 oz 10 mg

Soft drinks Amount Caffeine
Coke 12 oz 35 mg
Pepsi 12 oz 38 mg
Jolt Cola 12 oz 72 mg
Mountain Dew 12 oz 54 mg
7-Up 12 oz 0 mg
Sierra Mist 12 oz 0 mg
Sprite 12 oz 0 mg

Energy drinks Amount Caffeine
Red Bull 8.3 oz 80 mg
SoBe Essential Energy, berry or orange 8 oz 48 mg
SoBe No Fear 8 oz 83 mg

Desserts Amount Caffeine
dark chocolate 1.45-oz bar 31 mg
milk chocolate 1.45-oz bar 11 mg
coffee ice cream or frozen yogurt 8 oz 50-60 mg
hot cocoa 8 oz 3-13 mg

I'd like to kick the caffeine habit while I'm pregnant. Any tips?
You may find your taste buds doing the cutting back for you. Many women's fondness for a cup of joe evaporates during the first trimester when the queasies strike. Otherwise, consider switching to decaffeinated tea or coffee. (Decaffeinated beverages may contain some caffeine, but it's usually a small amount.)
If you're a devoted java junkie or cola guzzler, caffeine withdrawal won't be easy. To minimize symptoms — which may include headaches, irritability, and lethargy — ease off gradually. Start mixing decaf with your caffeinated coffee. Or reduce the caffeine in homemade hot beverages by brewing them weaker or for a shorter time. If you love a soothing cup of English Breakfast, steeping your tea bag for just one minute instead of five reduces the caffeine by as much as half.
One more thing: Although herb teas often have no caffeine, be sure to read the ingredients list and consult your healthcare provider before trying anything new. Certain herbs and additives aren't safe during pregnancy.

Comments

• Options
    we know that mind your own business on this board."snitch"
  • Options
    Hey babylove02
    Hey am trying to pass long some knowledge that others have told me!!
    I trying leave the past in the past. I am not sure what you got against me but am on here like anyone else trying to help others. Honestly all that bitterness is going to come on you!
    Ps you have to call me a baby now who’s the child?
  • Options
    baby67890- thanks for this very useful information. ignore the immature nasty comments.
  • Options
    What I did was months before my IUI I just made smarter choices than my old Starbucks habit (I saved a LOT of money by avoiding Starbucks!) and would drink water, fruit juice and other non-caffeinated, non-carbonated drinks instead. I never got any withdrawal headaches either. To this day, I haven't fallen off the wagon and it has been good discipline through my pregnancy. :D Good luck with everything