Options

Ship vials to home address?

Hi, I am looking to do a home insemination with donor sperm. I have heard that my physician needs to sign off on this?? Is that true? If so why? My doctor isn't involved with the home cycle so I don't understand why I need his approval?
If I must get my doctor to authorize what form do I need? Is it the same A1 form that he filled out to have the vials shipped to the clinic? I didn't see a block on that form to use my home address as the ship to?? Please advise. Thanks!

Amanda

Comments

• Options
    Hi Riley -

Yes, on the A1 there is a box for your doctor to check authorizing home delivery. In general, we require physician approval to release a specimen regardless of where the insemination is being done.

FYI... Be sure to order ICI vials if you decide to inseminate at home.

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    PS- good idea if you don't want to miss a round and can't be on fertility meds due to cysts- what are the 'ground rules', Sctt, for storage and thawing if done at home? ANd why ICI instead of IUI- is one washed versus unwashed? Thanks- and good luck, Riley10!
    !
    :) KNC
  • Options
    Hi KNC -

IUI vials are prepared for insemination directly into the uterus. IUI contain less sperm and have had seminal fluid and other "debris" washed away that actually assist the sperm in the earlier stages of the trip. These

The shipping tank will keep the vial frozen for about a week. Don't open it until you are ready to do the actual insemination. Even a quick peek can cause thawing that can affect the sperm.

Once you are ready to thaw and inseminate, there are instructions included in the shipment. You can purchase at-home insemination kits online.

While women certainly do get pregnant at-home, in general, conception odds are better at a doctor's office using an IUI. Either way, you should consult with your physician before investing emotion, time, and money in the at-home route.

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB