Options

Attractiveness Rating

I've been told that each donor is rated on a scale of 1-8 on the basis of how attractive he is. Can an administrator please elaborate on this? There are past posts on this topic but the answers from administrators are inconsistent and unclear. Can u let us know roughly want percent of donors get under a 5 and how many score an 8 (put differently, are the scores inflated? If no one gets a 4 then 7 means something very different than if certain people score 4 or less).

And now a comment -- in past posts administrators appeared reluctant to share this information based on what appears to be a paternalistic belief that we consumers should be focusing on other more important donor characteristics. I personally put much more emphasis on academics and any portion of the essay or interview which suggests empathy. That said, attractiveness is a factor for me and that's probably true for most people. If its someone else's most important factor, that's their business, and I wish them luck in their search for an attracive donor. My point is that it should be up to us to decide. To suggest, as in past posts, that attractiveness is too subjective to measure, is just silly (see, for example: People Magazine). Just as attractiveness is a factor that people take into acount everyday when choosing a partner, it's is likely a factor for most of us as we seek to choose a sperm donor.

I know it can be irritatimg to have a lay person tell you how to do your job, and while I don't expect you to concede as much, I'm sure answering these posts, many replete with criticism, is at times frustrating. But things like this, as well as a related post requesting you get documentation to support donor self-reports of SAT scores and grades, are things that are easy to change and will help us make more informed choices. Please consider that.

Comments

• Options
    Well put chebat. I thought attractiveness was a scale of 4 to 8? Maybe I heard wrong. I get different attractiveness responses depending who I talk to but I have had a list of donors rated recently and they fell from 5.5 to 8. They rarely will give an 8 and even 7.5 is less likely. I see 6 to 7 most often. I usually just ask the person viewing the pics if they themselves think they are good looking. Most staff has been really honest about that. I am curious though about your question too. Since learning that the grades and tests are not verified I put more focus on looks than I did before.
  • Options
    You may be right on the 4-8. I'm basing this all on a conversation I had this afternoon and I may just be misremembering 1-8.
  • Options
    I actually disagree. I think CCB should not rate by number. It's so subjective! Every CCB-employee would have a diff't number for the same person, just as we all would.
  • Options
    No one is under any obligation to take the rating into consideration. They already do rate. I simply ask it be made more transparent. Also, I wouldn't suggest the rating be determined by one person; rather, I think 5 people or so should assign a number and then the average is what should be reported. That corrects somewhat for outliers. It's not perfect, but let's get real, most humans generally have remarkable similar notions of what is attractive. And again, if the number exists, why make not make it transparent?
  • Options
    Would someone mind please responding to my question above? Would appreciate a little more clarity on the ratings and what they mean and how a number is arrived at.
  • Options
    Hi Chebat -

The attractiveness scale is an internal system that is used during the Donor Matching process. The ratings are determined by 2-5 people at any given time. On a 1-10 scale, our donors range from 5 to 8.5. Basically, a 5 is considered to be average and an 8.5 is so rare, that I personally have not encountered a donor with that rating. (We will never rate a donor a perfect 10.) Please keep in mind that we only rate qualified donors, not potential donors who didn’t make the cut. I don’t have specific numbers as to how many donors of each numerical rating we have.

The donor selection process is unique to each client and we understand that attractiveness may or may not be a factor. Our Client Services team is available to answer questions that clients may have as they go through this process, including questions regarding the donor’s appearance. Often times, it is more helpful when comparing donors if we know what sort of features the client finds attractive. Looks are subjective, as one person may strongly prefer thin lips over full lips, while another might prefer the opposite. Some individuals may find a cleft chin very attractive, while others may not. We also offer Facial Features Reports to assist clients with their selection process. And finally, if the information obtained from these resources is not detailed enough to make a final selection, our Donor Matching services are another option. For over 20 years, La’Trice has helped numerous CCB clients find their ideal donor.

http://www.cryobank.com/Services/Consultation-Services/

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB