Options

sperm count

I had my first IUI today (with ICI sperm). My doctor said that after it was washed, there was 6 million sperm. She said that they prefer specimens with 10 million or more. I thought I saw on here or somewhere that CCB guarantees 10 million per specimen?

Just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a limited number of tries at this, so want to maximize my chances!

Karin

Comments

• Options
    Hi Karin -

Our standard for ICI vials is actually 15 million post-thaw, but pre-wash. When your physician performs the wash, we have no way of controling the resulting count, and therefore can't offer any sort of guarantee.

The wash can eliminate many healthy sperm, which is why we offer an IUI ready specimen that is washed pre-freeze. It is ready to use immediately after being thawed. The IUI vial minimum is 10 million post-thaw.

The good news is that it is general excepted that anything over 5 million are actually extra sperm that don't increase the chance of a successful pregnancy. In other words, 50 million is not statistically better than 5 million. More recent research is actually suggesting that the magic number may even be as low as 2 million in an IUI procedure.

Best of luck,

Scott
    CCB