Options

is ten million sperm enough for IUI (premium)?

I'm having an IUI in September, and it seems as though 10 million (pre-washed, premium) is low compared to what is the average of I don't know fifty million to three hundred million sperm. Please advise

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sweety -

I'm guessing that when you mention 50 million to 300 million sperm, you are talking about a male’s total ejaculate.

During vaginal intercourse, the majority of those sperm do not survive the arduous journey to the egg. The acidity of the vagina and obstacles in the cervix which may trap or block the sperm, make it difficult for the sperm to navigate the female reproductive tract. Just a few thousand actually make it to the fallopian tubes.

When a physician performs an IUI, they eliminate a number of these hurdles, as they place a concentrated sample of motile sperm directly into the uterus. IUI vials are meant for this type of procedure and not vaginal insemination.

Also, our IUI vials are not the total ejaculate. They are typically a volume of .5mL. The washing process removes dead and slow-moving sperm, resulting in a concentrated sample of motile sperm. We guarantee a minimum of 10 million motile sperm after thawing, which is plenty for an IUI procedure. (And technically, it only takes one!)

Best of luck with your upcoming insemination!

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB