Options

lifespan of thawed sperm

Hi guys, can you tell me how long you think thawed sperm lives for once inseminated? I can only find articles about animal sperm.

Comments

• Options
    Studies have shown that after insemination, thawed sperm can survive inside the human body for up to 72 hours.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott, thanks for this. I keep reading that the sperm live less than a day. We used ici which i believe have a longer lifespan than iui. Can you ask you scientists/lab techs (or whoever) about this. Fresh sperm certainly have a few days to run around. I think I ovulated about 48 hours after we put them in which is frustrating because we didn't inseminate until after I got my LH surge.
  • Options
    Here is more information for you from one of our Lab Managers:

Washed sperm is supposed to only live for 6-12 hours, but sometimes as long as 24 -- not nearly as long as sperm can live in fertile cervical mucus (sperm can live up to 5 days in fertile mucus, 2-3 days being pretty common). This is why timing is so important.

In addition, current research indicates that washed sperm can live 24-72 hours; however, it does lose potency after 12-24 hours. Another issue with IUI is that the sperm can keep on swimming beyond the fallopian tube, so the ideal window is really within 6-12 hours of the egg being released.

Best of luck,

Judylyn Rubio-Hong
    La Grange Branch/Laboratory Manager
  • Options
    Do you mean 6 to 12 hours AFTER the egg being released? Thanks.
  • Options
    What about unwashed (ICI) sperm? 12-36?

Thanks!
  • Options
    kristeneb - I think they already answered your question. The ICI ones are unwashed. If it's in the fertile mucus it's 2-3 days (or up to 72 hours). I've been reading variations on the net!!! I'm hoping this site is more reputable... I'm all stressed out because for the last two months I did my ICI's 12 hours after my surge and another friend just told me the sperm die off much sooner. For my sake, I'm glad this site doesn't agree with her. Speaking of which, the surge may happen the night before your fertility monitor gives you a peak day. I have some other test strips and was testing every 6 hours and got my surge at 11:30pm one night, so inseminated 12 hours afterward. Good luck!!!! I inseminated 9 days ago and am doing a pregnancy test tomorrow, which will probably show negative, but I'm curious anyway. This whole ordeal is tough!!
  • Options
    Is there an assumption that IUI sperm is not in fertile mucus? Doesn't the mucus come from the uterus? So couldn't the sperm be inseminated right into the mucus?

Also, I've always wondered about "where" the sperm are living for 2-3 days. In the uterus? If so, wouldn't that greatly improve the chances of pregnancy? So why is IUI giving better results than ICI?

Sorry for all of the questions. My own RE doesn't have the answers for me.
  • Options
    With an ICI the sperm has to travel a long time to get to the egg (as many as 12 hours). An IUI puts the sperm right where it needs to be so time is not wasted on the journey.

Live sperm can last up to 72 hours in utero. Frozen sperm only lasts 12-24 hours.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Scott,
    I am aware that this conversation took place quite a while ago...but your first post says "thawed" sperm lasts 72 hrs, and the second says "live" sperm live 72 hrs and "frozen only 12-24.

The answers are a little confusing...are you saying that ICI frozen sperm once thawed live up to 72 hrs in utero and that IUI frozen sperm only lasts 12-24 hrs? Please clarify.
  • Options
    Hi OC -

Frozen sperm may survive up to 72 hours after insemination, but it loses potency after approximately 12-24 hours.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hello
    I really hope someone can answer for me questions I have been unable to find:

1. How long does it take for frozen&washed sperm to thaw?

2. How long does thawed frozen&washed sperm live once thawed, OUTSIDE of the body? (before IUI is performed)

in anticipation of a response, many thanks...
  • Options
    Hello
    I am hoping someone has the answers:

1. How long does it take for frozen&washed sperm to thaw?

2. How long does thawed frozen&washed sperm live outside of the body? (before IUI is performed?)

Many thanks in anticipation of answers,
  • Options
    Hi Mrsegg -

When we ship out specimen we include tank and specimen handling instructions.

1. Thawing time depends on which method is used. When it is being thawed for direct use, the vial should be placed in warm water (ambient-body temperature) for 15 minutes.

When it is being thawed for laboratory validation before use, the vial should be thawed for 10 minutes in a water bath at 98 degrees Fahrenheit or 25 minutes in a Dry Heat Block.

2. The vials should be used for insemination within 2 hours after thawing.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Can a lab manager or admin provide me with a citation for the "research" quoted by Ms. Rubio-Hong (see below). In other words, I would like to see the published study indicating these stats.

In addition, current research indicates that washed sperm can live 24-72 hours; however, it does lose potency after 12-24 hours. Another issue with IUI is that the sperm can keep on swimming beyond the fallopian tube, so the ideal window is really within 6-12 hours of the egg being released.

Best of luck,

Judylyn Rubio-Hong
    La Grange Branch/Laboratory Manager
  • Options
    Hi AP -

The post that you are referencing is from September 2008. I'll check and see if I can provide you with more recent research.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Nicole,

Any updates for this thread?

Thank you,

Jess
  • Options
    Hi AP & Jess -

Below is additional information from our technical director.

Regards,
    Nicole

The scientific references pertaining to sperm longevity can be easily found in abundance by searching "Quality control testing, human sperm survival test” (HSST). Generally, the HSST uses washed sperm for toxicity testing disposable products (i.e., plasticware) used in IVF Labs. In my own IVF Lab, we expect >70% maintenance of sperm longevity over a 5 day period to "pass" testing (e.g., 0hr=90%; 120hr=>63% at room temperature). The following study, J. Asst. Reprod., 2005, 22:177-180, studied unwashed sperm in seminal plasm for rapid cytotoxicity testing and found no change in sperm viability up to 6 hr.

So, what does this mean? Static, unwashed sperm, outside the body (i.e., sitting in a vial) would be shorter for ICI sperm in seminal plasm than pre-washed IUI sperm. The sustained presence of glycerol would ultimately be toxic to the sperm and shorten their lifespan. However, if the unwashed sperm is inseminated intracervically, then longevity would be significantly enhanced by diluting out negative seminal factors in the cervical mucus. Inseminated sperm can, in turn, rapidly ascend the reproductive tract in minutes to hours due to uterine contractility (reference to an interesting mid-1980s article in Nature on "Kamikaze Sperm"), whereas, much of the fertilizing population of sperm progresses more slowly while maintaining high levels of viability through cellular/tissue interactions (e.g., uterine-tubal junction, and the cumulus mass of oocytes). Although the majority of the sperm population has probably migrated out in the first 24-48 hr, washed sperm can experience extremely long life spans in an optimal environment.

Mitchel C. Schiewe, PhD
    CCB, Scientific/Technical Director
  • Options
    Hi - I'm inseminating for the first time in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide if I should do 2 or 3 viles in the first round? My test results say I have good egg reserve (AMH was 2.1) and I'm going to do an ICI. Here are my questions:

1. Would you recommend 2 or 3 viles of sperm?
    2. Would you recommend doing ICI day before/day of ovulation? Day of/day after? Or a different variation?

Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    Hi Anghart -

2 is plenty. If your cycles are regular and you can time your ovulation accurately, one vial is all you need. That is the big advantage to having an IUI done with a physician who can use ultrasound and inseminate directly into the uterus.

Timing is critical. You should check with your physician to confirm timing. Usually, the egg is released 24-36 hours after the surge is indicated by the ovulation kit. Inseminating late is never good. Better to go 12 hours after the surge, and then again 24 hours after that.

Always consult a physician before trying to inseminate on your own. A routine visit to your OB and some basic blood tests can save you a ton of money in the long run by making sure there is nothing preventing you from getting pregnant.

Good luck!

Scott
  • Options
    Hi, everyone

I'm hopefully having my first insemination next month and would like to know how many vials we should use. I'm doing an IUI procedure.
    Thank you for your advice.
  • Options
    Hi, everyone

I'm hopefully having my first insemination next month and would like to know how many vials we should use. I'm doing an IUI procedure.
  • Options
    Hi, everyone

• Options
    Hi Donna -

You should check with your physician to see how many he/she prefers. Most often, physicians will only use 1 vial for an IUI cycle, especially if they are doing ultrasounds to monitor your ovulation.

Please keep in mind that on average it takes about 3-4 IUI cycles to achieve pregnancy. Since our donors can sell out quickly, if you find a donor that you absolutely love, you should take advantage of our free storage programs:

http://cryobank.com/Services/Additional-Services/Family-Today---Family-Tomorrow/

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hello,

I am writing in reference to the note posted by Mitchel C. Schiewe, PhD, CCB, Scientific/Technical Director on 6/11/13.

The notes on research were helpful and interesting, but I have a few questions. I am using IUI prepared sperm by CCB. I am getting IUI inseminations at my doctor's office. Can you tell me how long the sperm will live post-IUI? Also, how long will the sperm remain potent post-IUI?

Thank you,

Lisa
  • Options
    Hi Lisa -

Frozen sperm may survive up to 72 hours after insemination, but it loses potency after approximately 12-24 hours.

Good luck,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    I know I'm late with my input to this post. I have been reading things that say it's best to inseminate 24-36 hours after a positive OPK. If washed sperm only lives for so long. Wont the sperm die before the egg is released? Doing it 12 hours after a positive OPK seems way too soon. I am only going by what I have been reading from different web sites. Doing an IUI too soon and too late are both bad.
  • Options
    hi CCB,
    I just started my first round of ici this tues and I was wondering if anyone has updated info regarding how long does ici (unwashed) donor sperm from CCB live once thawed?
    just curious, because I read online frozen sperms lifespan ~24hrs and I actually done my insemination a day too early :(
    thank you for your time!!
  • Options
    Hi Selene -

It's best to check with your physician about cycle monitoring and timing of your inseminations.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hoping maybe a CCB admin can help me with this question! I have read through all the posts above and am trying to figure out how to time an at home ICI insemination after using a HCG trigger shot with a doctor. All the information I find is on timing ICIs after a LH surge but since I know exactly when ovulation will occur I am not sure how to time the ICI. I thought maybe 20 hours before ovulation and 12 hours before? But I have no idea. I have two vials of ICI sperm. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi N -

It's best to check with your medical professional on the timing for your insemination.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB