Options

What to do before time for IUI?

Does anyone have any advise on what to do while waiting during the month until its time for IUI? I will be trying my first one this month. Is there anything I should be doing in the week or so before to give myself the best possible chance?
I apologize if this is already asked multiple times - I wasn't sure how to search.

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• Options
    HI AimeeMac and welcome!

Here's my 2 cents- start taking a multi or prenatal vitamin with folic acid. Get plenty of rest. I took a pilates class during this time just to relax.

If you don't already, try to eat as healthy as possible, lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. I drank a lot of fruit smoothies in the mornings to make sure I was getting enough fruit!

Try to cut out caffeine or switch to decaf. Try to cut back on the diet soda.

There is no magic wand and everyone is different. Do some research and talk to your doctor or RE.

Baby Blessings!
  • Options
    Aimee...samsmom said everything that I would have said...just try to make your body a healthy little temple.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I am not pregnant yet, but I can tell you what I was told to do to get ready. Alot of things have already been mentioned like eating healthy, limit or cut out caffiene, and taking prenatal vitamins. I have actually been taking the vitamins for 6 months or so, I started a couple of months before our first IUI.

My doctor suggested getting exercise, at least 20-30 minutes a day. Nothing too strenuous, just something like walking. This is just so I would already be in the habit of it for when I was pg, and I guess it helps with both pregnancy and labor.

I have been trying to do things that relax me. The physical preparations are really important, but for me, I have had to take care of myself emotionally as well. TTC has been pretty stressful. I do alot of writing (in a journal), meditation, and actually the walking clears my head. I know alot of women who do yoga...and like samsmom said, pilates.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!!!! Keep us posted on your first IUI!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Started the fertility drugs today :) If all goes well - in just over a week I will try for the first time.
  • Options
    AimmeMac...it sounds like you're well on your way...good luck! :)
  • Options
    I wish I had asked this question. I had my first IUI Aug 13th, but it was not successful. I had been taking prenatals with Folic Acid for two months prior. I quit drinking caffeine but I noticed someone said limit diet soda...is that bad? i have been drinking caffeine free diet coke or sprite zero for about a month now. I do agree that emotionally you have to get ready. Although we just did our first IUI we have been TTC for about 3 years. My husband has developed serious health problems since so now we really can't even "Try"....IUI is our only option other than IVF which we cannot afford. I think the journal is a great idea. Make sure you are charting your temps!! I did not hte first month because I couldn't find my BBT and I am so mad at myself. I will say when I found out I was not preggers I cried because you need that emotional release. Then I focused my energy on getting ready for the next try and what I could do to increase my chances. My doctor put me on Femara yesterday. I took my energy and frustration and put it into cleaning my garage. I figured ok, I am not prego, I can clean and work and lift out here without worrying about harming myself. So I guess it is pre-nesting so to speak. I wish you so much luck.

If you'd like to talk more during this experience feel free to email me at Dawnrene.Morgan@yahoo.com

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Good luck to you too.

I was charting my temperature - like clockwork for the last 5 months when I wasn't trying but the month I try - everything was off. The doctor actually does blood tests and is having me do a trigger shot to try to make sure they have everything timed right to increase my chances.

I have tried to cut back on the pop - but I know that is one of the things that is going to be hard - but in the overall scheme of things - losing my diet coke won't be the end of the world.

Everything has gone well so far. I am trying not to get my hopes up.

And I am with you on getting everything ready around the house. I hacked everything outside really short so it should be a while before anything needs to be trimmed again. All my neighbors were laughing (usually I trim the tree when I can't mow under it and then just enough so I can) :)

I appreciate all the support. My e-mail is pearlandaimee@live.com if you ever want to chat :)

Thanks!
    Aimee