Options

Prometrium (progesterone) - to take or not, and when?

Do your REs ask that you get your progesterone tested a few days post IUI?

I did so after my 1st IUI last month; my lining was very thin at a 7.9 level .... we need >15 to be in the "ok" range .... so i had to take Prometrium suppositories 2x a day.

Does ur RE put u on Prog meds regardless of the testing? If so, which day do u start post-IUI?

I decided not to get my prog tested this month b/c i want to minimize costs of tests. RE said then to "just go ahead and start the Prog meds 2 days post IUI".

Looking for guidance here.

Thanks,
Kerri ---
2nd IUI done 4/1 and 4/2

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kerri,
    Our RE doesn't test for progesterone b/c he says that there is really no reliable test for it. I know that some Drs test anyway, but I think there are a lot of questions about the validity of the tests.

That said, we were a little concerned about a short LP, and he said that Progesterone supplements would certainly not hurt anything, so DP will be using them this cycle. We're starting 3 dpo, til 14 dpo (or if there's a BFP, we'll call him about possibly doing them longer).

GL!
  • Options
    Hey,
    I'm taking progesterone 2 days after IUI. My lining was a 10 at IUI time. They said that the lining was awesome but still take the progesterone. You think that my lining should be above 15?
  • Options
    Ryanhl,

i was told that if lining is below 15, then take the prog meds. 15+ means (supposedly ....) that the lining is thick enough to hold an implantation, should one occur.

i was also told that a lining # of less than 15 is one of the factors why there may be miscarriages, even if there IS an implantation ....

hope that clarifies.
  • Options
    Kerrikerby,

Wow... thanks for the info. I wish my office would have told me that. They just keep telling me how good my lining looks. Maybe they mean in comparision to the 36 year olds they see in their office. Oh well!! I'm on my 5th IUI....waiting for news. The TWW is hard. It's getting harder to stay positive. Oops, sorry....guess I'm being a downer. Thanks for the information. Good luck Kerrikerby.
  • Options
    I, too, am in the 2ww period. I should know by the 15th. Keep me posted girl and STAY POSITIVE and relaxed!

Kerri ---
  • Options
    Kerrikerby,
    How is it going? I went ahead & have been testing like a fool :). Nothing so far, but I'm only at 9dpo. My chest is very sore. But who knows if that actually means anything? Do you have any symptoms? Or have you tested?

Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Heather
  • Options
    Heather,

I'm only at 6dpo. Knowing that the egg won't even implant onto the uterus until day 7 or 8, if it does, I won't test yet.

Also, b/c HPTests are so expensive, I use that as an excuse not to test "before anything can even be detected".

I will probably test on day 10 (saturday). I'm not feeling any symptoms yet ... but again, i heard that any "symptoms" we feel before the 7 days implantation is just PMS ... not pregnancy.

I have a very relaxed, calming, non-anxious approach to this experience. My belief is that God already knew before i was born if i'd be pregnant on this exact day. So for me, testing and/or being negative and/or nervous wastes my emotions and time.

Heck, I even had a beer lastnite b/c i know that implantation didnt even occur. LOL.

Good luck and keep me posted g'friend.

Kerri ---
  • Options
    I wanted to join in. I am also in my TWW. I started the progesterone 4 days after IUI. i will have my blood test on April 16th.

Kerri--I love your approach to the wait! I am 7dpo and silly me....I tested this morning! It was a BFN....what a waste of time and energy!! I specifically didn't buy any tests...but this morning as I was working from home...I ran up to CVS and bought some.

Now I am going to try to wait until 10dpo and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!
    T
  • Options
    Today I am at 11dpo. I tested and BFN. I was hoping to have a positive for my birthday (today). Oh well, I still have a few days before throwing in the towel. Good luck girls!
    Heather
  • Options
    Heather,

A positive attitude can only serve to HELP you, not harm you. And it takes as much energy to be positive than it does to be negative .... so why not choose POSITIVE.

We have 2 choices when we wake up every day. To be positive or not.

I'm not saying that it's not disappointing to get a BFN (i know that feeling), but if we set ourselves up for only "looking forward to throwing in the towel", then we miss on so many other good things happening around us in our lives.

It's your birthday .... go out and celebrate and (try to) know that your fate is already set for you. And also know that testing too early causes SUCH UNDO anxiety .... is it worth it?

OK, i'm off my soapbox for now ..... I just wanted to exude some positive energy to all of us in the 2ww period .... and in the TTC process.

Happy HUMP Day ;-)
    Kerri ---