Options

open or anonymous donor?

Wondering if anyone has any comments to share on how they chose open or anonymous, I understand the difference between the two...Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I am weighing each option and I'm not sure which is the best way to go. If you chose an open donor, then later if a child wants to correspond they have that option, but with closed they don't unless the donor wants to....this is a hard decision to make. I hope you get some responses from those who have already become parents and if they would choose differently or not.
  • Options
    I, too, had a difficult time with this, but ended up choosing an anonymous donor, because I really like him. Of course I am hoping he will be willing to meet my future child when the time comes, but any extra insight would be great. For me it seemed my top choices for donors were all anonymous. Best of luck!
  • Options
    I'm going with open. I know people who are adopted and it's important to them to know their ancestry...at least to have a chance. I didn't look at anonymous; didn't want to be tempted and helped to narrow the field!
  • Options
    I was fine with either way - I was more concerned about connecting with the donor and finding one that I really liked. It just so happens that the donor I ended up choosing was an "open donor" - so that is a plus =)
  • Options
    There were a couple reasons I chose open:
    1) Given that most donors donate in their 20s they and possibly their parents have not developed health issues which in the future may come up. So the baby has the opportunity to find out about health issues when they are older.
    2) This is the way the world is moving. In most of Europe it is no longer possible to donate anonymously anymore and given that is the trend I did not want my kid to have a different set of expectations.
    3) At 18 I hope that my kid is able to make this kind of decision for him/herself and I did not want to close the door for him/her without giving him/her the opportunity to make that call for him/herself.