Options

40 and hopeless?

So i am 40 and feeling hopeless. Has anyone my age gotten a BFP with clomid and oidrel with an iui?

Comments

• Options
    I am a couple of months, 3 to be exact from 40 and never been pregnant but plan to use a donor in the next few months. I understand that feeling. I found that reading too many stories on the internet can make you more stressed. I am very hopeful after reading success stories and realizing alot of women are in the same position. I have learned that timing with the IUI is very important. Good luck and I hope to share my success story soon!
  • Options
    I am 40 (41 next month), and I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. I underwent my first IUI in January, and it was successful. I was on 50mg of Clomid---just one cycle, and like I said, I got a BFP on that first try. I know it is easy to get discouraged, but just try to remember that everybody is different, and you have no idea what will happen until you try. Nriley is right---stories on the internet can be very stressful...and discouraging. Good luck with this process, and try to remain positive.
  • Options
    Mountaindewbug, Please do not be hopeless, there is always hope. I am currently 40 and 12 weeks pregnant after 6 IUI's. I used the Ovidrel shot and 50 mg of Clomid and finally had my BFP on the 6th try. I didn't use the Clomid on the 5 previous attempts, just the Ovidrel shot. The Clomid worked for me and was the charm :) I have an 18 month old son also and was fortunate to get pregnant on the 1st try with my son so I was a little discouraged when I didn't get pregnant on the first few tries. But my doctor was very positive, despite my age, because I am healthy with no identified fertility issues (except being 40 of course). My doctor said it can take a healthy 20 year old up to a year to get pregnant so to keep trying, which I did.

Stay positive because there is always hope. So, yes, there is someone out there that is 40 that got a BFP on Clomid and Ovidrel :)

Good luck to you.............Michelle
  • Options
    Congratulations ladies! Thanks for the words of encouragement. It really helps to know there other women in the same situation.
  • Options
    Don't give up hon, keep trying... I just had my fourth IUI today... and I'm 46. I haven't given up... keep trying.
  • Options
    thank you to everybody who answered and thank you all for the encouragement. trying to keep my spirits up. it is true that too much reading on the internet can give the blues. tatemen ... did you have any side effects from the ovidrel shot?
  • Options
    MountainDewBug, No, i was very blessed and I didn't have any side effects of the Ovidrel Shot or the Clomid. I know some women who have had some mild side effects but fortunately, nothing too serious, just some cramping and headaches. I would definitely do the Ovidrel Shot again as well as the Clomid, I have no regrets because it worked and so far, so good, going into my 13th week :)

You will have the success you're hoping for, don't give up. Hope matters, it really does.
  • Options
    thank you tateman. congrats to you on your BFP
  • Options
    Thank you MountainDewBug,

We had our Level II Ultrasound yesterday, the ultrasound that helps determine level of risk of birth defects and everything went very very well, so even though I'm 40, still going strong and having a great, healthy pregnancy so far :) We were able to see our little ones fingers, toes, nose and lips....the baby even rolled over a few times and seemed to be waving at us :)

Anything is possible !!!
  • Options
    Tateman,

I have not been on this site for awhile so I just read that your are preggo. Congrats, that is soooo exciting. Really I am so happy it finally worked for you!

Good luck
  • Options
    Tateman - So happy to hear that your ultrasound went well and all is going well. That is great!

I am still feeling hopeless. My RE keeps saying, "well your 40" It is like all that he see's is my age? Other then being 40 I am great apparently! So frustrating! How many here have gotten a BFP at 40 wwith their own eggs?
  • Options
    Hi MountainDewBug,

I'm 40 and still trying, but what you said about your RE's comments on your age struck a chord.

I ran into that attitude a lot while looking around for doctors/clinics in this field and it really pissed me off. Yes, age is a factor, but it's not the only factor (i.e. there are plenty of younger women who have fertility challenges of various kinds) and constantly making us feel like crap about it certainly doesn't help the process along since positive thinking is crucial.

I finally found an RE who I absolutely adore (if you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, let me know and I'll send you her info) and she doesn't make me feel like a number at all. She treats each patient individually and just does everything she can to up our chances. And she NEVER harps on about age.

So you might want to consider telling your RE how you feel and/or getting a new one. After all, you're paying for his services.

--CSS
  • Options
    mwiggill,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, after 5 unsuccessful tries it finally worked for us with our previous donor that agreed to return for reactivation. We were very blessed and are now 15 weeks along, so far, so good.

I read that you are switching donors after 4 tries with your original donor. I am sorry it hasn't worked for you yet but it will, please have hope....hope really helps. Best wishes and lots and lots of baby dust to you...

MountainDewBug,

I experienced some of that same attitude from some nurses at thye fertility clinic I used as well as from one of the RE's, that is when I switched to another RE. I really needed a RE that was a cheerleader and the first one wasn't so my partner and I asked for another consultation with a different doctor and we were very fortunate to meet with a RE that was very supportive and said right off the bat, "let's see what we can do to get you pregnant." That made all the difference in the world to us and we were lucky to get pregnant on the first cycle with our new RE. I don't know if switching RE's is an option for you but if you are a healthy 40 year old with no other known fertility issues, there is no reason whey there isn't a good chance (I know that our chances are alot lower at 40 but it happens everyday). I used my own eggs and I am 40. It will happen for you, don't give us and best wishes to you.

Michelle
  • Options
    I feel bad that it took me so long to reply, life has been so busy. Thank you so much CSS and Tateman for telling me your stories and sharing your opinions with me. I agree and i have made up my mind that it is my life and I am not going to allow a nurse or RE to get me down about being 40. Still trying with no success gets me down enough without that added pressure.
  • Options
    CSS I just read what happened in another thread. I am so sorry. Don't give up! We are all here for you!
  • Options
    Thanks so much, MDB. I never expected a miscarriage this early (I worried about the first trimester, but didn't know that it could happen so quickly after a BFP), so it's been a learning experience. The truth is this can be a pretty tough journey. But it's still worth it.

--CSS