Options

Confused...ICI or IUI?

So my obgyn has said that she would like me to order ICI vials and wash them herself. Do ICI vials contain less sperm? Does every doctor/clinic wash the vials the same way? I want to have the best chance possible in conceiving within the first 4 months...being that after 4 tries my dr. said we will have to move on to ivf.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ICI actually contains more sperm usually (well the guarentee is higher anyway) A lot of women I know say they like using ICI and having their doctor wash them because it kind of "wakes" up the sperm that way plus it gets rid of all the dead or dying ones. With the IUI they just thaw it and use it since it is already washed.
  • Options
    Hi Talia -

An ICI vial is basically semen. The washing process removes the seminal fluid and non-motile sperm. This is done to prevent infection and cramping when used for an IUI procedure.

Since some sperm will be lost in the washing process, you will find that ICI vials generally have a higher count than IUI vials.

If your physician's office is going to wash the specimen, then you should order the ICI vials. (It is not recommended to rewash IUI vials.)

Best of luck,

Nicole
    CCB