Options

A few questions.

I am curious, do you guys limit how many families can use the same donor?
For instance, if 50 families were interested in the donor and there were enough vials, would all 50 families be able to use him, or is there a limit?
I'm pretty nervous. What if my baby has 100+ siblings?
I don't want my baby to live in fear his/her whole life of running into a sibling and not knowing it.

ALSO, I'm genuinely concerned about this. What if the donor is a ....creep. Like, what if he is donating for the wrong reasons, or mentally unstable? I am scared that I'll choose some creepy guy because donors can't get denied for just coming off as weird, can they? Like if his health and education records were all good, so was his semen, can he still be turned away for giving off bad vibes? Or is he accepted even if he seems...odd/creepy.

I know it sounds petty and trivial but I'm genuinely concerned! This is such a big decision for me, and it seems pretty crazy to ask that last question, I know. But I am panicking about this!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ariel -

All good questions.

Our maximum goal is 25-30 families per donor. The average is closer to about 15. We maintain this by limiting the number of vials we collect and distribute, and soliciting pregnancy reports from anyone who hasn't reported a pregnancy or shipped vials over a 90 day span.

Donor go through an extensive screening process and multiple interviews by donor coordinators, genetic counselors, and physicians who look for a long list of indications. Less than 1% of applicants actually qualify to become donors. If an applicant comes across as "creepy" or dishonest, we disqualify him. Our coordinators (all female) interview hundreds of guys a year and have a very good "sixth sense" when it comes to spotting creepy guys -- and the coordinators definitely have the authority to subjectively reject them.

Don't panic. This is absolutely a big decision, but there are no wrong choices. Once your baby is born, I promise you will never give that second donor choice a single thought.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB