Options

low motile sperm count

Hi, Scott,

I just did my first back-to-back IUIs during the weekend (Dec 5 and 6).

However, the two vials have extremely low motile sperm count. I bought two ICI vials. After washing, one has the concentration of 10 million and only 26% motility , while another one has the concentration of 15 million and only 10% motility. So there are only 2.6 and 1.5 million motile sperms in these two vials respectively. Considering the 15-30% analytical variations between different labs, these numbers (2.6 and 1.5 millions) are much, much lower than CCB guaranteed minimum (15 million of ICI and 10 million for IUI).

My physician told me that I should be able to get the refund with such low numbers, if I do not get pregnant for this cycle. But we did the inseminations anyway, since we do not want to waste this cycle. The whole weekend, I have been feeling so upset.

I will call the lab people who handled my sperm vials and get the confirmation of these numbers.

Would you please help me with this issue? To get refund if I do not get pregnant, what paper work I need to do and who should I contact with? Another important question is that whether the low count is related to the specific sperm donor or just some unique vials (I want to figure out if I need to change to another donor with good count)?

Thanks.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Hi Dan -

I'm sorry for your experience. Our ICI specimens are guaranteed to yield at least 15 million motile cells before washing. Clearly these post-wash numbers are unusually low. Please call Melonee Evans in our Client Services department at 866-927-9622. She will be glad help you with any credit and discuss the results with your physician so we can make sure you get the best specimen possible for your next cycle (if necessary).

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thank you so much, Scott. You have been very helpful.

Dan
  • Options
    You're welcome. Good luck!

Scott