Options

2nd chance for IUI last week

So after our first medicated cycle was cancelled by the Dr. prior to me knowing that I have a birth defect with one of my kidneys and a consult with the urologist who isn't concerned in the least about it... We had our second opportunity for IUI. We went in for all of our regular testing and everything looked good. Friday the RE was still concerned my follicle being 16.5mm wasn't quite big enough, so he asked me to come back Monday to re-check, as their offices are closed over the weekend. We went back in Monday to find that he missed my ovulation over the weekend, so we are out another 2200 dollars and still haven't been inseminated.

Any other lesbian couples having a hard time finding someone who treats you like an infertile person, even though you aren't?

Comments

• Options
    That is so frustrating!!! Generally they want the follicle at a 19. It sucks so bad you missed it especially since everything is out of pocket. We are lucky because our clinic codes stuff for insurance as if we are infertile to have insurance pay but have never once treated us that way. I'm sorry your clinic is treating you that way. Clinics seem to treat everyone as infertile bc that is their specialty. Maybe next time you could use the ovulation predictor kits. Our clinic generally only does Iuis on the weekend unless you get a positive on the kit then they will see you. Fertility can't be timed on office hours only. Maybe ask. Again I'm sorry about the frustration. Next time I hope you get an insemination in. I would have a frank conversation with the clinic though on a contingency plan. Good luck!
  • Options
    EllieJo~ Are you in CT by any chance? We are currently in the market for a new Dr, so any recommendations would be welcome. It's really frustrating, especially since I asked if it would be safe to wait over the weekend, or if there was a way to meet during the weekend and I was assured that it would be fine to wait from Friday until Monday. I was taking OPK's over the weekend and sure did get a positive on Saturday, but it didn't even matter because he wasn't happy with the size of the follicle.
    I honestly am not waiting for everything to be clinically perfect, when straight couples conceive, it isn't all perfect! I just want the opportunity to try and we aren't getting that opportunity. It's heartbreaking.
  • Options
    No we are in Chicago at one of the best fertility clinics in the Midwest. We are so lucky in that regard. I know our clinic has a on call nurse if we test positive on the OPK over the weekend. I am sorry it's so frustrating for you. And expensive. Is insurance picking up any of it? This process is so hard. I have so many people at work that are pregnant and all they did was have sex. I just want to have sex and get pregnant. Not in our cards. With all the frustration have you are having you thought of doing this at home. I think we would try if we could register on the OPKs. We are in the dreaded TWW. I hope you get there soon. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    Elliejo,
    Our insurance is paying little parts of the blood work, but that's all. We are meeting with Sher on Monday, hoping that this one works out better than where we are now. I actually asked the nurse we were assigned from the RE we are using now if she would ask him to release our samples to us at the end of my cycle this month for us to try at home, but I doubt he'll let us do it. Hence the consult with a different office.
    My fingers are crossed for you and all the faith, trust and baby dust I can send to you! Thanks for taking the time to chat with me, it's greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I hope the next fertility office is much better for you. Their job is to get you pregnant with whatever means as possible. They should want to get you pregnant. I think that they forget that this is an expensive process for us lesbians. A lot of insurances like our said they won't cover anything because my wife is considered single according to their standards. In the end they are paying for most everything except one of our ultrasounds. I think they just started coding us as infertile to get stuff paid. But who knows we have only seen a few bills at this point. Feeling a little negative about the TWW. Thinking we aren't pregnant but hoping we are. The TWW takes a huge toll on a person. I plan to keep myself busy this weekend as to not sit all weekend thinking about it. We go in for blood work on Monday. Please send us positivity and baby dust.
  • Options
    How you doing wanttobemommmies?
  • Options
    Hey Elliejo!

We're doing ok. I spoke with the Dr. that we had been using and after our conversation he decided that he would release our samples to us at the end of my cycle this month so that we could try inseminating at home! So, I'll just keep doing my OPK tests and when we get a positive we have to call him, go get an ultrasound to confirm and then it's baby making time!

Thanks for checking in!
    How are you doing?
  • Options
    I'm glad your doc will release your samples!! That is excellent news. I have no clue how one gets pregnant at home so best of luck to you.

We are good. Taking a few months off to regroup see our RE and come up with the next plan. And best part of it all traveling to Jamaica for some relaxation with my love. We have had three failed natural cycles so guessing next step is meds. Thanks for asking!
  • Options
    Have a safe trip! Hopefully it's the reset that you need! A little sun will never hurt anybody :) Finger Crossed for y'all!