Options

1st IUI failed...need advice on medicated cycles

I just found out my first IUI attempt failed. I actually had a lot of symptoms until a few days ago. I asked my dr's nurse about a medicated cycle and trigger shot. I don't know a lot about it and what works best. She is talking to the doctor and thinks it will be okay with him for me to jump in with a medicated cycle. I would really appreciate opinions on this. We can't afford IVF so I want to do what it takes to increase our chances. Also, does anyone know what the chance of multiples are with medicated cycles?

Comments

• Options
    My doctor is planning on doing medicated with me. She told me I have a 3-5% chance of twins and that in her practice they have never had more than twins. But - they are also monitoring very closely and have already said that if it looks like too many eggs (no clue what too many is) are getting ready - that they stop and don't go any further (ie - never inseminate). Good luck. I am trying for the first time later this month so I don't know any more than what I was told.
  • Options
    I tried a cycle with Clomid followed by, I had hoped, a trigger shot. But my follicles didn't get large enough and then I started spotting (and hence not ovulating), so I couldn't do the IUI. But I've had trouble with an irregular cycle ever since I started this process (related stress, I believe), so that's probably why it didn't work for me.

I could have opted to try it again with a higher dose of Clomid, but I decided to give my body a break and just try and relax in general.

I also chose to take an Eastern approach, since the Western one didn't do it for me. I had my first acupuncture appt. earlier this week and it seems to be helping regulate my cycle already, plus it made me feel great. I'm hoping it will help get my cycle back in order and then I can give that IUI a shot.

This may have nothing to do with your case, but I just think it's good to know that fertility meds are not a magic bullet. However, they do seem to work for most of the women I've read about on this list and I sincerely hope they do so for you. Best of luck!

--CSS
  • Options
    I used clomid for 3 cylces and had no success so then I tried daily injections and only had 1 mature follicle so they did use the trigger shot but that month was also unsuccessful. This month the amount of medication for my daily injections was increased and I have shown good results and at least 2 follicles are responding. I have another ultrasound tomorrow to check.

3 years ago I just used clomid and got pregnant on my 3rd IUI. So each time can be different.

I have posted before that you should check with your doctor to see if they have free samples. I got all of my medication for free since the drug reps give offices so much samples. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm almost 40 and don't want to take it slow anymore. Thi will be my 5th IUI and I try and stay hopeful.