Options

IUI or ICI???

I know this may not be the right forum for this, but.....I need some help undestanding the difference between IUI and ICI. I know that IUI is washed, while ICI is not. You are inseminated with IUI through a long catheter that deposits the semen at your uterus. But why couldn't you use IUI if you are just going to do an in home insemination where you deposited the semen at your cervix? Wouldn't your chances be better because of the higher motility of the sperm?

It may be my ignorance talking, but I'm honestly just more curious than anything. I'm just annoying that way...LOL

AH

Comments

• Options
    Well what I do know is IUI is washed semen to get rid of the bad ones because your closer to the uterus so better chances at conceiving. ICI isn't washed ICI is more like doing it the "natural" way with a partner. I hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    Washed semen isn't washed to get rid of the "bad ones" - it's washed to get rid of the semen. It's strictly the sperm. This is done because the semen is irritating to the uterus (when doing ICI or inseminated naturally your cervical fluid basically washes the sperm). However, the part of the semen that is washed away for doing an IUI is needed to help the sperm get where they're going - and keep them alive until they get there.
  • Options
    mommy87 and jennyjellybean,

Thanks so much for your input. That makes sense! I'm just about there to start trying next cycle....fingers crossed! Baby dust!

AH