Options

IUI - getting started

Hi everyone,

We are doing all of the research we can to decide where we will have our IUI's done. I am finding that each clinic I have talked to does not do an initial consultation, rather just an appointment that costs somewhere between $450-650.00. We are starting to feel frustrated because we don't want to commit to a doctor/clinic with an appointment like that without having been able to see the clinic or even go in and ask some initial questions. And I'm trying to deal with things on the insurance end to see if we can even be covered, but I'm starting to think we can't because it isn't "medically necessary".

I'm also finding that each clinic I call assumes that I have fertility problems (which is understandable, most who call there do), but when it comes to our situation, I'm very healthy and have very regular cycles, I'm under 30 and not anticipating any serious problems off the bat, but they all have mentioned using procedures with hormones or more intervention than seems necessary and I don't want to go that route.

I would love any suggestions, thoughts, advice regarding how you chose where you had your IUI, insurance issues, avoiding hormones, etc. I sincerely appreciate it!

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure if you plan on doing clomid, or any deep studies during your cycles but I am just straight up IUI with my regular obgyn, paying out of pocket for everything. My insurance does not cover anything.
    You should ask your obgyn if they do the IUI's and how much they charge.
    Good luck!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi,

Have you called your insurance company? I have United Healthcare Oxford and my company has decent fertility coverage so I had unlimited IUI. The donor sperm was not covered, no was the washing or the storage. My procedure and appointments leading up to it were covered
    I would def start with your insurance. My initial appointment was a consult, so everything was explained to me. I did have to go through the different blood tests, a pap and HSG test after I made my decision to go ahead. And I think these tests are pretty standard.

As far as meds, my doctor would not start me on anything like clomid etc. He recommended doing 3 attempts unmedicated and then maybe 3 with clomid and then take it from there. Luckily I had an unmedicated IUI and was successful the 1st try thankfully and I am 13 weeks pregnant. I was 36 at the time of conception and had no fertility issues, just a guy problem, or lack of one ;)
  • Options
    I spoke with our insurance company, Cigna, and they didn't have any coverage info for IUI, nor did they know what it was. I am going to look further into this. Thank you both for your responses. I will also do some more research on OBGYN's that do IUI. JanaBNY, congratulations! If you are in or near New York City, would you mind sharing the name of the doctor you used? Thanks again!
  • Options
    Thank you! I used Dr. Melvin Thornton at Columbia, he is at Westchester office but they also have a facility on the west side (646-756-8282). I highly recommend him and them. That's discouraging that Cigna didn't know what IUI is!
  • Options
    Hey ble207,

I have CIGNA as well and my plan doesn't cover anything related to fertility or infertility. (I'm located in the Philly area). So everything we've done so far has all been out of pocket. The way I chose my Dr. was by looking online for different Reproductive Medicine clinics in my area and since I'm in a same sex relationship, what drew me to the one I chose was that they had a section on their site about same sex couples using their services. I haven't felt uncomfortable at all at this clinic. I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you call them and ask a few questions to the receptionist I bet you will be able to get a feel.

The initial visit I had was $250 and it included a sit down with my Dr. in which she went over what to expect, what the plan would be and answered any questions I had. She then did a quick exam to see how everything looked and took couple of swabs. She also had me go to a lab to get a bunch of bloodwork done.

One word on CIGNA, they didn't cover my initial bloodwork because the Dr./lab put down the diagnoses as infertility even though the bloodwork test were all just regular tests. If you do find out that CIGNA will not cover infertility, make sure your Dr. doesn't put down infertility as the diagnoses. My Dr. is now having the lab resubmit my claim to CIGNA with a different diagnoses in hopes that I will get that money back.

So far I have had 2 natural IUIs (no drugs) and my Dr. wants to try 2 more before we reevaluate again (if I'm not preg by then).

It's alot all at once to figure out but once you find the right Dr. the ball just keeps rolling and everything falls into place. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Hey halo,
    I'm guessing we are using the same practice, and in fact, I think we're using the same doctor. She's AMAZING and we love her. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    Ble207 – We found that insurance pays for more than they say they will (an office visit is just coded as an office visit, and insurance never knows the difference). So you never know.

As for avoiding hormones, I won’t try to sway you in any way, but you might find that you don’t mind them. When we first started (14 months ago), we thought we’d have no problems, DP was young and healthy, with perfectly regular cycles. After that first BFN, we were like, bring on the drugs. I’ve done a looot of research in these 14 months, and nearly everyone gets on Clomid or something similar eventually. I totally understand if you don’t want to go there, I’m just saying you might be surprised at how your thinking changes along the way. Either way, best of luck!
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone for the feedback and thoughts - all so helpful!
  • Options
    thesnowaway,

I wonder if we ARE using the same Dr. - Dr. G? :) I swear we go away from every meeting with her with a smile on our faces. We've done 2 natural IUIs and will be doing our 3rd probably early next week. She hasn't really talked drugs too much with us - other than the Progesterone 3 days after each IUI. How many tries have you guys done? Have you gotten a BFP? Does your DP use Progesterone too?

It's nice to see someone else on here from the same area, especially someone in a same sex relationship. :)
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I just thought I'd jump in here as a fellow New Yorker. I have a OB/GYN friend who recently started doing inseminations at her office in Park Slope, Brooklyn. She would love to help same sex couples/single women trying to get pregnant. In fact, my wife and I are planning to use her in the next few months.

She is very familiar with the whole process having gone through it herself about a year ago. She now has a beautiful baby girl. Her prices are totally reasonable - for the IUI world (less than what you all have written above) but I'll let you discuss those details with her.

Here is her info: Leslie Bizovi 718-362-0663 or email = bizovigyn@gmail.com.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Yes! Same dr. She’s the best dr in our area. She’s hilarious and amazing and we love her. We started out at the other big place, got sick of it after awhile, switched doctors. DP did use progesterone after every IUI (she has short LP and it never hurts anyway). It’s a long story, but we’re doing ivf right now. DP triggered last night, retrieval tomorrow. Send me an email if you’d like, and I’ll tell you the whole story: thesnowaway ~@~ yahoo
  • Options
    I thought that I would pipe in...Also look into Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine! They are absolutley amazing and very knowledgeable.

They have multiple locations across the U.S. Their website is www.haveababy.com

Good Luck!
  • Options
    thesnowaway, I know what you mean about the hormones and how things change along the way. Going into this I really believed I would get prego on the first try. I was 34 and healthy with regular cycles and I figured 3 natural IUI's max. Well, my first IUI was with Clomid because my first RE was all about meds. My second IUI, with new and current RE, was Natural but with Trigger. I did get a BFP with 2nd IUI but it ended in a very early MC. Last week I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. Doctor removed a dermoid cyst from my left ovary, drained a cyst in my right and diagnosed me with stage 2 endo. After my surgery, doc talked to my partner and said that I'm now an IVF candidate. WOW! Things have really changed. When I started this about a year ago I was totally anti- IVF, anti-hormones. But here I am today seriously considering, if I haven't already decided, on doing the hormones with IVF.