Options

Scott do you know if single mothers can choose their babies last names

Scott do you know if single mothers can choose their babies last names I hear that legally you can choose any last name you like is that true.
Is there a way to find out?
Secondly if I chose to have second child by a different donor or adopt a second child do both their names have to be the same or be yours or can I choose one?

Comments

• Options
    Hi baby -

To the best of my knowledge the name you put on the child's birth certificate is the child's legal name. The vast majority of our single mothers use their own last name for all children regardless of using multiple donors.

I would strongly suggest consulting a family lawyer to make sure you have all the answers you need.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    In my state, the person attending the birth must use the mother's last name unless she's married or there's an affidavit of paternity from the biological father.

My daughter's last name is not the same as mine, because my last name on her birth certificate is not the last name I go by. Your birth attendant may or may not be accomodating.
  • Options
    Here is a very knowledgeable lawyer I met at a recent community meeting CCB co-sponsored in NY.

Melissa B. Brisman, Esq.
    Melissa B. Brisman, Esq., LLC
    One Paragon Drive, Suite 158
    Montvale, NJ 07645
    201-505-0099
    201-505-0097 Fax
    www.reproductivelawyer.com

She is an excellent resource for those in the NY area.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    In my state (oregon) you can change your name, or your child's name, for $100, just 60-90 waiting. It's very simple and easy. This may be a good option for you...