Options

Success stories with ICI at home?

Hi,
We are hoping to try ICI at home a time or two before we move onto IUI, I'm just wondering if it's actually worth it. Does anyone have any experience with home insemination you would like to share?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HI
    I'm trying to do the same thing, just that I read somewhere that you could get a pelvic infection and that stoped us from doing it? Do you know anything about it?. Other than that, I want to try my self, there is nothing clinically wrong with me, so maybe a procedure at home might be as effective as the office one
  • Options
    I haven't heard that you could get a pelvic infection. My OBGYN says it is safe enough and worth a try, so I'm trying to gather as much information as I can before we do it. I would feel a lot better about it if I could hear more success stories. I think we will give it a try in November. I'm still very young and have been able to easily get pregnant before so I'm hoping my chances would be good. The problem is with my husband's sperm.
  • Options
    Here is 2 posts I haveposted in another discussion regarding ICI at home. Good Luck!!!

Its totally possible with ICI at home, my partner is pregnant right now. We tried ICI at home 3 times, all negative. Then we did IUI at the doctors office, we got a positive but miscarried. This past time, we did ICI at home but sort of mimiced what the doctor did with an IUI. (NOTE, we did ICI, I did not insert the semen in the uterus) I used a speculum, a 1cc syringe, and a tomcath on the end of the syringe. I positioned the speculum to see the cervix, drew up the sperm into the syringe (straight from the vial), put the tomcath on the end of the syringe, I pushed the sperm out of the syringe up against the cervix. (I didnt touch the cervix) Then inserted something called a Instead (its a cup type thing that is used for your period. We found them at CVS) We did 2 inseminations approximately 20 hours apart ( 18 hours is ideal but we couldnt do it because of our schedules)

Just wanted to say it is possible, Good luck!!! Sending lots of baby dust to you all!!

As far as thawing the semen, we just set it out at room temp for 20 minutes, that is what our dr. did when we tried iui. She advised us not to hold in in our hand that we could over heat the goods and kill some, she also said to keep it standing up, dont flip it around or set it on its side. (Note, while the vials were thawing, she had the big O, then after the insemination she had the big O again to help draw the swimmers up.

We have been (my partner) has been tracking her basal temp as well as tracking with the clear blue monitor. We only teste one time a day because thats all the monitor does. We actually inseminated the night before she hit peak, because other signs were there. She usually peaked on day 12 and she didnt that day so we knew she would peak the next day, and she did. So we inseminaed late the night before she peaked and then about 20 hours later, in the early evening. The speculum was inserted before the semen was, therefore i wouldnt lose any semen. And her hip were elevated. She actually inserted the cap because its like inserting a tampon (she did it while remaining laying down) She didnt get out of bed for atleast 4 hours. After we inseminated she layed on her back for 40 minutes, rolled to her side that she thought she was ovulating for about 20 minutes, then to her stomach for 30 or so then to her other side.

I would advise praticing with the speculum before you inseminate. And i read somewhere if you have a hard time finding her cervix, have her jump up and down 4 or 5 times and that should help in drop. (it worked for us)

Dont stress about it, I know its hard not to do, just relax.

No questions are silly, and i am not an expert. I just did alot of research and reading. I think the thing that helped the most was I watched the dr. do the IUI the time before. If you have any more questions let me know. Sending lots of baby dust your way. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the information, it is very helpful!!
  • Options
    I've been doing IUI's so far, but with no success, and now money is getting low. Because the samples are less expensive and you can cut out the middle man (i.e. obgyn) costs, we're thinking of trying an ICI next time. But at 39, I'm not sure if it's worth the attempt or not?

--CSS
  • Options
    We are going to try ICI at home in November so hopefully we'll be lucky and it will work! From what I've read age does play a role in your odds of it working, but it may be worth a shot.