Options

2nd Question

Is there additional information regarding Sickle Cell Trait carrier status for African American donors (even those mixed) within the long profiles?

I am a carrier so I need to be absolutely sure that the donor we choose does not carry the trait and I haven't seen any information as of yet....I also haven't purchased any long profiles but will be doing so very soon!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi, I don't work for California Cryobank, but read your post and am so happy I'm not the only person seeking an African American donor. There are very few and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the entire idea, let alone having to select a race/ethnicity. I am also looking at donor 11695 as well as a few others. Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi Faith222 -

Here is a response to your question from one of our Genetic Counselors:

During the qualification process donors undergo a complete blood count and/or a hemoglobin electrophoresis in order to determine their risk to be carriers for hemoglobinopathies like sickle cell disease or alpha or beta thalassemia. If a donor has abnormal hemoglobin levels or complete blood count results that suggest he is a carrier for these conditions, he is disqualified from the donor program. Only donors with normal hemoglobin patterns may become qualified donors.

However, some older donors have not had a hemoglobin electrophoresis as this test for determining carrier risk is newer than a standard complete blood count. Prior to the implementation of the hemoglobin electrophoresis test, complete blood count values (MCV and red blood cell count) were used to determine carrier risk for sickle cell disease or alpha or beta thalassemia. If a patient knows she is a carrier for sickle cell disease she should definitely use a donor who is newer and has had an electrophoresis performed. She needs to call genetics to discuss each donor that she is interested in individually and confirm that an electrophoresis has been done on him. That is the safest route for this type of patient.

The carrier screening results aren’t in the long profile (though we hope to have them included in the future) and are only listed on the summary of test results, which we can email to her or her MD following a quick consultation.

Please contact our Genetics Department directly for more specific help at 877-743-6384.

Please remember that no screening is 100%, so you should definitely give them a call to discuss your options.

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Abr2009, I'm sure Scotts response was for you.

Scott, this does bring me to another question. What is an older donor versus a newer donor? Is there a certain year that CCB started testing so that we know which donors we should consider?

Thanks!
  • Options
    There is no way to specifically tell. Higher numbers are newer than lower numbers, but most available donors meet all stated testing standards. The best thing to do if you know you are a carrier is to narrow down your list of prospects and just give our Genetics Department a call. We will be happy to address any specific questions you may have.

Happy New Year,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Scott. Faith it is very good to know that someone feels the same as I do! I was shocked and disappointed at the number of African American donors available with any of the banks....it is very overwhelming but if this is where we are....this is where we are! Good luck to you to!
  • Options
    Best of luck to you both!

Happy New Year,

Scott